Part 23

Hamza was lost in his thoughts, he felt weird, stupid, and played, he felt as if Maya deliberately let him think of her as a ganwar. But she never said anything, she never did anything, it was always him, and his perceptions.

"Why did Mom never mention her education, what was she thinking? But what changed after knowing about this part about her? Nothing changed! Ayesha is there, and I am committed to her! but, I am married to this girl, and she doesn't deserve this."

He can't shrug off the way Maya was mingling with everyone, she absolutely looked like his mom used to be with the staff. Kind, considerate, and keeping her dignity. Always behaving in a certain manner, that force the other person to respect you. She was so much like his mother.

Guilt caught him, he can't do this to her, he can't spoil her life. He has to settle this sooner or later, so why delay it? Every passing day will make it more complicated.

He used to think that he could leave Maya with his mom and live his life with Ayesha, but Maya is not a bechari, she is an educated, smart, kind and beautiful girl, and she deserves everything in life. Not a divided man like him! No, she doesn't deserve him. She deserved better and he will make sure to sort this issue.

Maya knew something had happened that had changed Hamza's mood. It's not that he had been very chatty or friendly with her, but in the past few days, they were pretty comfortable in each other's presence. He was fine when they left home, but his mood suddenly changed during the dinner. She could feel him thinking, has the time come? Is this the time when he throws her out of his life?

While lost in their thoughts, they reached home. Maya carefully got down from the car, she had taken her shoes off in the car and now held them in her hands. Her feet were tired and she couldn't wear the heels anymore. Hamza did not look at her or help her getting off the car as he did when they left home.

She followed him into the house, walking slowly, pallu folded around and draped over the other hand. As she reached the staircase, Hamza turned and without looking at her said,

"Kapre change kar ke meray room main aao." He sounded sombre.

"Oh, tau waqt agaya hai, Hisaab ka." She thought to herself. She just nodded and climbed the stairs without a backward glance.

—————————————
Maya made chai and coffee for them and took them to his room. With a thumping heart, she knocked at the door. He opened the door for her and gave her space to enter. She entered the room and walked to the couch, placed the tray on the table.

She has changed into a simple kameez shalwar with a dupatta, her makeup removed and her face washed. Hair tied in a plain braid, she looked exactly like she looked the first time Hamza saw her in his house. The glorious, glamorous Maya that he just witnessed at the party was nowhere to be seen.

He had changed into his black pyjamas and T-shirt that he wears at night.

There was only one couch to sit on, and Maya was sitting on it. Instead of sitting beside her, he grabbed the chair and placed it opposite her across the table.

They both took their respective cups and started having their caffeine in silence. Hamza looking for words to start the conversation and Maya sat with her eyes lowered in anticipation of "the Saza".

"Tum janti ho humari shadi kin halaat main hoyee thee." Hamza started,

He was not looking at her, neither was she. He was toying with his coffee mug, while she was looking at her hands.

"Tum aik bohat achee larki ho, tum main koi burai nahi hai, magar humari Shadi se pehlay se main Ayesha se comitted hoon." There, the bombshell was dropped on Maya. She was anticipating it but a little corner in her heart was saying, 'Maybe.'