48. Drowning In A Dream That I Cant Escape

***Noah's POV***

***Noah's POV***

On the walk over to the NICU, both Folio and I were silent. My thoughts were rushing a mile a minute, encapsulated in my manic emotions. I was happy to be able to meet my baby girl, but angry at tonight's events and the way in which this all occurred. I was devastated that Eve couldn't meet our baby with me, and also felt guilty on top of everything else that she went through all of this on her own. I didn't know how we were going to get through this but the only thing I could do was try.

"She is in the NICU for now because her birth was relatively traumatic and we want to monitor her for any after effects due to Eve's blood loss and the nature of her birth." The doctor spoke as we approached the room.

"We're going to keep her for a couple of days just to keep a close eye on her, but she's definitely a little trooper and she's doing very well despite everything that happened."

The doctor led us over to the bassinet  that she was at, and I stayed behind by a few steps, feeling the nerves palpitating in my stomach. I was so scared to see her for the first time and couldn't believe it was really about to happen. As I approached the bassinet, I think I held my breath for a few moments, slowly coming closer to her little body with caution.

My eyes glazed over with tears almost instantly, seeing her teeny tiny stature.

There she is...

That's my little girl...

She was absolutely perfect.

She was hooked up to wires and her eyes were closed as she slept, but I could already see her resemblance to both Eve and I and it warmed my heart. She had a little bitty pink hat on, but some deep chocolate brown curls were peeking out from under her cap.

She definitely had Evie's hair...

When she opened her little mouth to yawn, it made me pleased to see she was blessed with Eve's adorable dimples too. I was so happy to see it because it was one of my favorite features in all of Eve's natural beauty. I know little baby's features would probably change a lot with time,  but I noticed she had my nose shape, lips, and the same slight cleft in her chin like mine. Before I knew it was coming, I started to sob, wanting so badly for Eve to be here to share this moment with me. This perfect, beautiful baby was half of each of us, and it was so amazing to think we created her out of our love for one another.

"She's so beautiful." My voice trembled as I whispered to Folio, not able to take my eyes off of her.

"She's so pretty. And she literally looks  just like you dude." Folio patted me on the shoulder a few times and gave me a comforting  smile, happy that he could be here for me in this moment.

The disbelief that this small human actually existed overpowered me. It was finally setting in that I was actually a father. I was overwhelmed with so much love for her already, wishing I could hold her in my arms right now. I wanted to protect her for the rest of my life, with every fiber of my being.  I was able to stick my hand through the small opening on the side of the bassinet, just enough to run my finger gently over the back of her tiny, soft hand a few times.