49. Its Too Late To Turn Back Now

***Noah's POV***

***Noah's POV***

The next morning was a dreary one. It seemed like a miracle when I was in the chair beside Eve's hospital bed, drinking my coffee and playing on my Nintendo switch to keep myself entertained, when Eve made a small groaning noise and I noticed she opened her eyes. My heart fluttered...how I missed those eyes looking back at me.

"Hey there  beautiful." I cooed quietly and sat up in my seat happy to see her awake.

She looked confused and distressed and she brought her hand up to her throat, beginning to cry. I instantly frowned, feeling so helpless.

"It fucking hurts." She hoarsely whispered as the tears streamed down her cheeks.

"Fuck. Hold on baby. Let me get the nurse." I reached over tapping the call button hating that I couldn't trade places with her. She shouldn't have to go through this.

When the nurse came in, she checked her vitals and administered some pain medication into her I.V to keep her somewhat sedated and give her some relief. She had already been through too much.

Once Eve seemed more relaxed, laying her head back against her pillows and her eyelids looking droopy with exhaustion, I scooted closer and held her hand in both of mine. I noticed the dark circles that encapsulated her beautiful, brown eyes, and her lips were pale, a small cut going across her upper lip. I wondered if the gash would leave a scar behind, and I hoped, for her sake, it didn't. However, to me, I would continue to think she's beautiful. She could have a million scars and I would love her all the same, and kiss every single one of them if it made her feel better.

I watched her lie there, knowing I needed to let her rest, but it was killing me not having any answers yet about who did this. I would just keep my fingers crossed she could hopefully identify the attacker.

"You were right by the way."I told her, wanting to distract her from the discomfort she was in. "You won the bet. I got to meet our daughter for the first time yesterday and she's perfect."

Her eyes looked over at me, and there was a silence between us. She seemed olost, gazing at me with confusion. She took her hand away after a few moments. She opened her mouth to whisper, not being able to push the limits yet and speak any louder.

"Daughter?"

I nodded, wondering why she still looked confused. I saw her glance down at her stomach then she looked back at me.

"I'm sorry but...I don't know you. I think you have the wrong person." She said.

My heart dropped down into my chest. This really couldn't get any worse.

"Evie..." I sighed taking a moment just trying to keep myself calm so I didn't stress her out more than she already was.

"Look." I took her left hand and showed her the rings on her finger. "I'm your husband, baby. We're married...."