Twenty-Two

BEATREESE

I HELD MY BREATH fearing that if I didn't they would shoot me

I HELD MY BREATH fearing that if I didn't they would shoot me. I stood there at gunpoint—three gunpoints—without anywhere to go since basically, I was trapped by these heavily-covered terrorist. Their bodies were covered with these weird black blankets with its symbols deformed since it was draped over their shoulders. Their heads were not so I could clearly see their faces. Two men and a woman. The two men were both from the Middle East while the woman was probably from the West because it showed on her light skin.

And since I didn't have any choice, I raised my arms in surrender.

Lumuhod ako habang nakatingin sa lalaki. Binato niya sa 'kin 'yong tasa pero nakailag ako kaya naman nabasag 'yon sa sahig. Kumalat 'yon na parang mga matatalim na chips.

"You dodge, huh?" he said with a very thick Arabic accent. "This time you no dodge, eh?" He pointed the gun at my head.

I closed my eyes and took a deep breath. My heart wasn't reacting wild to the situatuion and my breathing was leveled as if I wasn't in a life and death situation.

Pinangako ko sa sarili ko na hindi ko muna 'to gagawin pero wala na akong magagawa pa. Ito na lang ang natitirang paraan.

The man lifted the gun from my head and pointed it to the woman across from us. It was as if the man's consciousness had left him and another mind had took control of his body.

"What are you fucking doing!" she cried, panick overtaking her voice.

"Hey! Daeh 'arda, 'anzulah!" the other man screamed.

But it was too late. The man already pulled the trigger and a bullet found its home on the woman's head. Napahiga siya sa sahig na parang langang gulay. Hindi ko maiwasang mapailing na lang. Wala naman sa plano ko na magkaganito pero tulad nga ng sinabi ko: wala na akong magagawa.

"Madha yahduth lak!" I didn't know what the hell it meant but I could see the man was shaking.

Tinutok ng lalaki ang baril sa kasama niya at walang patawad na ito'y binaril. Pagkatapos naman no'n ay itinutok niya ang armas sa ulo niya at walang pag-aalinlangang pinaputukan ang sarili. I flinched at the squishy sound. I even saw his brain explode from the impact.

Unti-unti ako tumayo ay lumapit sa kaniyang walang malay na katawan. Tinitigan ko ang mukha niya, ang nakadilat niyang mga mata at ang duguan niyang sintido.

"I am sorry," I said. "I didn't dodge but you missed."

I turned around and walked outside, my conscience trying to tug me at my stomach. I didn't heed it any attention and instead convinced myself they got what they deserved.