Forty-Six

CADE

I WAS BACK AGAIN at the testing room with no more than twenty thousand robots laying on the ground, burning and smoking with what were left to them

I WAS BACK AGAIN at the testing room with no more than twenty thousand robots laying on the ground, burning and smoking with what were left to them. Sweat trickled down my forehead, tracing its way at the tip of my nose before falling on the white floors. My chest rose and fell as my lungs expanded and contracted, chasing the breath I lost for a while while dealing with the robots.

I raised my hands and inspected my palms. Even now, I couldn't fully accept the things I could do.

I was a walking ruination in human form. My bones, flesh, and skin were sewed with destruction.

Mas matulin pa sa bilis ng ilaw ang pagtibok ng aking puso. Huminga muna ako nanh malalim ng tatlong beses bago naglakad papalabas sa napakalaking silid na ito papunta kila Goldberg at mga alagad niya. Habang ako'y naglalakad at tuwing may nakaharang na robot sa sahig ay hinahawi ko ito gamit ang kakayahan ko. Para ba silang isang kalat sa daan na tinatangay ng isang hangin. Iniiwas ko rin ang mga usok sa akin dahil ayoko itong maamoy lalo na't hinihingal ako. Inilayo ko rin ang mga nag-aapoy na robot sa akin.

"That is your last test for the Phase Two and we'll proceed to Phase Three tomorrow," sabi sa akin ni Goldberg pagkabalik ko sa control room. Tumingin siya sa 'kin at isang ngisi na naman ang nasa kaniyang labi. "Magpahinga ka na muna bago natin 'to ituloy. At alalahanin mo na lahat ng pinakamahahalagang memorya mo."

It triggered my mind and memories flashed through my eyes. The days when I was still a child—playing, laughing, enjoying the life. And still not aware of what I was capable of.

The day when I aced my examinations during my elementary years. My teachers even said that I was already showing the early signs of being a genius. My father and mother hugged and kissed their little Cade when they heard that news. The Cade that wasn't aware of what I he was capable of.

The day when I entered highschool. The day when I entered 9th Grade and my father insisted that I should take Medicine instead of learning what I already knew. I refused resulting for him to silent-treat me for a whole span of a week. That particular week was quiet and the only one who was talking to me, insisting to tell what happened was my mother. I was angry at my father. And I still wasn't aware of what I was capable of.

The day when I entered senior high school and met my new friends. The day when I set foot on Cardonfold University and my life had changed. Still not aware of what I was capable of.

The day when I discovered the things I could do. The day I was now aware of what I was capable of.

The day when I last saw my family. The day when I lost it all. The day when all I wanted to do was to kill myself. The day when I used my ability against someone—and killed them. The day I regretted I didn't say this to my parents earlier and instead, I held it back.