Fifty-Two

HAVIERRE

"AURI, WHAT IS THE project's progress?"

"Only 3% left until completion, sir."

"Good. Focus the developmental substances to the subject."

"But if we do that, sir, the other subjects' completion will be delayed."

"Just do it!"

"Yes, sir. Focusing developmental subsatnces to the subject."

I couldn't hear anything but the hum of the machines, the heavy breating of my assistants, and the tapping of fingers againts the hologram.

"Developmental substances have been focused, sir."

"Good."

"Calculate the remaining time until completion."

"Calculating. Only 53 hours until completion, sir."

"Okay. Very well."

I looked at him. He looked so peaceful. He looked so beautiful. He was calm and then he thrashed as if he was having a bad dream.

"Sir! The subject is reacting to the developmental substances! Stress level is increasing!"

He was struggling and his body was trembling. He wanted to rip his skin apart and break the glass tube. I approached him, rested my palm flat against the thick cold glass, and rested my forehead on it.

It's okay. I'm so sorry.

"Raise the level of endorphins, now!"

"Yes, sir! Endorphin level has been raised."

I took a deep breath.

"Sir?"

"What?"

"I think the subject is waking, sir. What do you want to do about it?"

"Let it."

After all of these years, I could finally see those pair of eyes that changed me. I could finally see those eyes that made me feel like I'd been dreaming but—

I'm so sorry I did this to you. I love you but this was the only way.

I am deeply sorry. I wish you could still forgive me for what I did.