Chapter 13: Grayson's P.O.V

I wake up to the sun slowly rising over the horizon. I look next to me to see Luke still asleep. 'Man....I must've woke up early.' I thought to myself. I get up and start preparing a fire. Once the wood was lit, I began to cook. The fresh cooked smell of mutton filled the area.

   "I wish things were this peaceful all the time..." I mumble to myself. I leave the mutton to sit and cook a bit and head over to the study. I peek inside to see Mia still asleep, purring at every inhale she took. I smile and walk up to her. I gently pull her bangs back and kiss her forehead.

       "I wont let anything happen to you....I promise." I whisper to her. She groans and rolls to her other side. I walk back outside and look around. The sky was a redish orange with a haze of pink. Everything was too peaceful, which made me worry. I walk back to the campfire and finish cooking the mutton. I set the mutton on a plate and place it to the side. I look around and look towards my bag. I walk towards it and open it. Inside, the egg still sat. I sigh and take out the "Draco Hatchery" maps.

     "These are exactly like the maps of the Magic Library.....at this rate the egg is never gonna hatch." I say to myself. I put the maps up and close the bag. I look around and start to hear groaning. I look over to Luke and he's still fast asleep. I turn towards the opening to Drake's room. I make my way over and peek inside. I see Drake fast asleep in his bed, moving around a bit.

          "....Leave me.....alone...." He mumbles. At first I thought he was talking to me, until he started talking more.

"Collin.....enough...." He seemed to growl when he said that. I walk a little closer to him.

       "...Drake?" I whisper to him. He flinches and moves a bit.

   "ENOUGH!" He gasps and his eyes shoot open, except.....his eyes were red. I quickly back up from him. His eyes turn back to their purple and white. He looks around and rubs his head.

        "Ugh....my head is killing me." He groans. He turns his head and jumps as he sees me.

  "Grayson? What are you doing in here?" He asks. My heart was pounding. I gulp.

       "W-What just h-happened with y-your eyes?" I stutter on my words.

              "My eyes?" He asks and puts his hand up to his face. 'He doesn't know. How do I tell him?.' I thought to myself.

  "Your eyes were both red. Not when your eyes get bloodshot but.....an evil bloodthirst kind of red." I explain to him. His eyes go wide.

         "What?" He asks, shocked. I walk up to him.

     "Look. I just saw it for a split second. It's not enough to be telling everybody. If it happens again or gets worse, then we'll worry about it. For all we know, we're worrying over nothing." I suggest. He sighs.

         "Yeah ok. Sounds good." He looks up and smiles. I smile back. I pat his back and start walking off.

    "C'mon slow poke! I cooked mutton and you're not saving it for another day this time!" I call out to him. He laughs and follows me out to the camp. I see Luke awake, laying to his side in his sleeping bag. He faces us and grins.

           "So...what have you two kids been up too?" He says, laughing. I cock an eyebrow at him.

"Kids? I'm older than you school boy." I say. He puts his hands up.

        "Okay okay. Words hurt sir." He says and grabs a piece of mutton. Drake and I do the same.We sits down and hear footsteps. Mia comes stumbling out of the study and over to us.

              "Morning Mi-"

   "Food." She cuts me off and walks to the plate. 'Okay...not a morning person.' I thought to myself.

        "Gross! Grayson! Mine is burnt." Luke calls out. I grin at him.

"I know. I made it special for you." I respond. He scoffs.

        "Now that ain't fair! That was a long time ago jerk!" He throws the mutton at me and I dodge it.

   "Get another piece you big baby." Mia mumbles. I laugh and Luke reaches for another.

             "What was a long time ago?" Drake asks as he takes a bite of his piece.

"Luke and I went camping one time. It was late and we were cooking dinner. I went to grab some steak and he insisted that he'd cook. I told him to go ahead and he did. He cooked his fine but burnt mine." I explain to him.

           "Why are you getting payback now?" He asks. I smile and look to Luke.

    "Cause I'm in a good mood. Plus, he's just easy to play jokes on." He sticks his tongue out at me.

            "And he says we're the kids." I whisper to Drake. He laughs and we continue to eat.

------ 15 Minutes Later -------

We finshed eating and began to pack up.

    "What's the plan?" Mia asks. I pull out the Draco Hatchery maps and strap on my bag.

"Well..since these are exactly like the maps for the Magic Library, we need to start traveling. And far. I only have two and it looks like there are seven."

          "Seven? But that means we have five maps to find! Plus, haven't you traveled all over the badlands?" Drake asks.

   "Not all the towns and secrets this place holds. There's other places besides the badlands also." I answer.

                  "But Grayson. Area's outside the badlands are dangerous." Mia responds.

"Lets just pick a town from here to go to." I suggest. They nod and I pull out a map of the badlands. A town about three miles away stood.

  "There." I say and point to the town.

            "Three miles. Not bad right?" Luke asks.

      "Our feet will be sore, but no. Not bad." I look at Mia and she nods.

  "Ugh..." I hear Drake and turn around. He had his head cocked to the side, his hand on his head.

"You ok?" I ask him. He looks up at me and nods. I fold up the map and put in the inside pocket of my jacket.

        "Alright guys. Lets go."