Chapter 22: Luke's P.O.V

A maze. My favorite past time activity. Honestly, these things are easy to navigate.

      "Grayson! Mia! Drake!" I call out as I walk down a pathway. I begin to hear faint mumbling.

   "Guys..!" I call out again. The mumbling continues and I follow the source. I turn the corner and come face to face with Mia. She screams and starts slapping me in the face.

       "Mia..MIA! Stop!" I snap at her. She stops and stares at me.

"Luke?" I nod.

     "Wha-..Where are we?" She asks.

  "A maze." I answer. She nods and looks around.

       "Have you seen Grayson or Drake?" I ask. She shakes her head.

   "No. I hope they're ok though."

         "Well, we're not gonna get anywhere just standing here." I walk off with Mia tagging along right behind me.

     "Do you know where we're going?" Mia asks.

"Not exactly. Grayson taught me a good bit of navigational type skills." I answer.

    "Like what?" She asks.

           "Well...sometimes if you can feel a breeze coming down a pathway, that's the place to go. It usually means there is an opening or a way out." I explain.

    "Oh. Is that what you're doing now?" I shake my head.

           "Not really." I peek my head around a corner and then signal her to follow.

  "I don't know what to do actually. Mazes used to be pretty easy for me because that was one of the trainings they used to do during guard classes and stuff." I turn my head to look at her. She had a confused look on her face. I sigh.

        "It was basically a test of your knowledge. To see if you could navigate your way out. Grayson and I were the fastest." I explain.

    "Oh! So...you don't have the slightest clue where to go." Mia guesses.

  "Wha-....Of course I do!" I protest. She cocks an eyebrow at me. I scratch the back of my head.

      "Ok...maybe I don't. But I can get us out of here. We just need to work together." She smiles and nods. Suddenly, I hear faint yelling.

  "Do you hear that?" I ask.

             "Yeah...what is that?" She asks and looks around. I walk over to an open area and look down into a dark, deep hole.

"It sounds like it's coming from over here." I tell her. She walks over to me and looks down as well.

        "Really?" I nod. The yelling gets louder and louder. I slowly look up and see a small dot getting closer and closer.

  "Look out!" I pull Mia back.

      "AGH-" The figure shouts before passing by and plumeting farther down into the hole. Something was oddly familiar about the figure.

  "I think...that was Drake." I stifle a chuckle and go completely serious. Mia punches me in the shoulder.

            "Ow! What was that for?" She glares at me.

    "We need to find a way to get down there! Not laugh about it!" She snaps. I rub my shoulder.

"Okay! Sorry..." She looks down the pathway and starts walking off.

          "Come on." She says.

     "Shouldn't I lea-"

               "Shut up." She commands. I slouch down and follow her.

    "Yes ma'am."

------ 1 Hour Later ------

   "We're lost!" I groan. Mia stops and looks around.

          "Okay fine. You lead."

   "Why are you so mad at me?" I ask.

              "Well maybe it's because you never really take things seriously now. Everything has to be funny to you." She exclaims. I glare at her.

"Has it ever crossed your mind that I might do this to lighten the mood? For all we know, we are stuck here forever, Drake could be dead, and we may never find Grayson! I didn't want to say any of that in the first place because it might not make you feel better, but it makes me feel a little bit better!" I snap at her and walk off.

        "Luke..I.." She trails off. I stop and look to the floor.

   "I know. We're gonna find them Mia. They're my friends too. And after what we saw earlier, we need to find them." I encourge her. She nods. After a short while we come across an open room with a chasm in the middle. We walk up to it and look down.

         "Would you sacrifice your own life to protect others?" A voice echoes aloud.

  "Look." Mia grabs my attention and points across the room. A light shines on the other side.

         "Well..here goes nothing." I say and run up to chasm. I push all my weight into my feet and jump across. I land right on the edge and fall forward. I turn around and hold out my hand over the edge.

     "Come on!" I shout at Mia.

"Are you insane?!" She bellows. I smirk a little.

          "If I can make it, you can too. Plus, I'll catch you." I tell her. She backs away and goes in a full sprint. She jumps and lands at the edge, grabbing my arm. I pull her up and she hugs the floor.

   "Never...again.." She mumbles. I stand up and walk over to the light.

                "Hey, check this out. There's two chests here." I motion her to come over. She stands up and walks up to me.

       "Do we each get one?" She asks. I nod. We both open a chest. We pull out a map.

    "Draco Hatchery...." Mia mumbles, her eyes sparkling with awe. I look at my map and see that it's a piece as well. Suddenly, the wall begins to rumble and a secret doorway opens, stairs leading down.

          "C'mon. Maybe the others are down here." I say and we walk down.