Chapter 2

Max's POV

"Well Rider I will lead you to the forge." Hiccup stood up and opened the door.

"Ya know I heard stories about you." I started. "How you and Toothless defeated the Red Death so vikings and dragons could be at peace."

"Toothless showed me to the island and I knew that if I defeated it the raids would stop on my village." Hiccup replied.

"I used to have a village." I blurted out. "But Shadow took me away. I've been living with him ever since."

"Haven't you ever wondered where you came from?" Hiccup asked as we entered the forge.

I grabbed some black leather off the shelf and started to cut it, "All the time. But Shadow and I like our peaceful island."

"It must be lonely." Hiccup said.

I was almost done with the saddle, "Not really. Shadow and I have each other. And other dragons."

"There are some duplicate tools above your head." Hiccup pointed with his finger.

I put the saddle underneath my arm and grabbed some of the tools from the shelf, "Thank you for your hospitality but I really must go."

I replaced the old saddle with the new one and put the tools in my saddle bag.

"Please. Why don't you spend a night here? It must be a long flight back to your island." Hiccup begged walking out of the forge.

Shadow nudged me, I need to rest.

"Alright I will. Thank you." I shrugged and followed the chief to the Great Hall.

I got some food and sat down at a table where Hiccup's friends sat.

"So you're Rider? Well I'm Fishlegs." He said.

"Hey Fishlegs." I murmured taking a bite of the chicken.

"How did you manage to come across your Night Fury?" He asked.

"Shadow found me actually." I replied. "I was alone in the forest when he did. And he took me to his island. I've been living there for ten years."

"I'd love to study Shadow. For the Book of Dragons." Fishlegs continued.

I finished my chicken and I felt Hiccup's hand on my shoulder, "Maybe another time Fishlegs. Rider has a long flight back to her island. Her and Shadow need some rest."

I sighed, "Fiiiine. But I was having a nice conversation with Fishlegs."

I let Hiccup and his wife lead me towards their house and up the stairs.

Hiccup opened the door to a spare room, "Sorry about the dust in the room. I haven't cleaned it since..."

"Since what?" I pulled the sheet covering the bed off.

"My daughter disappeared. This was her room." Hiccup quietly shut the door and walked away.

Shadow curled up on the rock slab, that's so sad. How can a man who's a hero and greatly respected lose his daughter?

"I know Shadow. Being a hero has its flaws. Come on we should get some sleep. Long flight back." I curled up in the blanket.

Good night little one...

"Good night Shadow." I closed my eyes and went to sleep.