Chapter 33

Max's POV

Jack carefully set her down on the ground next to me.

"Is she..." I trailed off.

"She's gone..." Jack whispered. "I figured you wanted to see her at least..."

I lowered my head and stood up taking the staff from his hands, "This was my grandmother's..."

"Your house was somewhat intact. I found the staff in your room. Your dad must've put it there." Jack murmured.

"Thanks Jack..." I put my hand on his shoulder. "We need to set up a mass grave sight. Clean up the village. I don't plan on rebuilding."

"The two of us can't dig a huge grave site." Jack said.

I smirked, "Now that's where you're wrong. I have an idea. Watch my dad. I'll be back."

I ran outside the arena and stood in front of it. I looked at the staff up and down. I took it in my right hand and spun it over my head, slamming it on the ground.

I waited.

And waited.

Until finally I heard the roar of a Screaming Death.

Jack ran out, "Are you insane?!"

"Go back inside." I instructed.

Jack ran inside and shut the gate. The Screaming Death came and stopped in front of me.

I stretched out my hand, "Hey girl...I need your help..."

The dragon slowly touched my hand, it smells of death here...I am truly sorry for your loss...what can I do?

"I need a mass grave. Can you do that?" I asked.

Of course of course. I'll come by to let you know when I'm done.

The Screaming Death took off and I went back into the arena. I knelt by my dad who was on the ground still unconscious.

I grabbed his hand, "Dad...please wake up..."

Jack stayed silent sitting against Windspark's back.

"Please..." I pleaded.

He coughed sitting up slowly, "Max...what are you doing here?"

"My training is over...I came back and the village...it's gone..." I murmured.

"Your mother..." Dad said trying to stand up.

"Sit down!" I snapped. He gave me a nervous look. "Sorry. But Mom she's gone..."

I moved so he could see her body.

"I have a friend digging a mass grave." I said.

Tears were streaming down my dad's cheeks.

"Dad come on...don't cry..." I whispered. 

"How can you not?!" He asked. "My wife, your mother is dead! Along with everyone else in the village!"

I gulped, "I've seen this kind of destruction before...mass murders...dragons dead defending their riders...I guess you get used to after a while..."

My dad stopped crying, "We need to rebuild."

He stood up and leaned against me.

"No. We're not rebuilding." I stated.

My dad glared at me, "Why not?!"

"We can't stay here. It's too dangerous. They could come back...for survivors...let's bury the dead and high-tail it to my island." I demanded.

"You can live at our island. My dad wouldn't mind." Jack offered.

"Come on Dad...let's go to the house...pack up whatever we can salvage..." I said.

The Screaming Death roared and my dad's eyes widened.

"Whoa Dad it's okay. She's a friend. She helped dig the grave." I led him outside and the Screaming Death was hovering in front of us.

It is done. I wish you the best.

The Scream Death took off, "THANK YOU!"

Author's Note: Major feels. Sorry.