Chapter 3

Max's POV

I woke up the next morning well rested and noticed that the wall was decorated with pictures of Toothless, Hiccup's Night Fury. I picked one off the wall, one that was unfinished. I found a charcoal pencil and placed the paper on the desk leaning over it. I continued the drawing of Toothless and finished it.

"What are you doing?!" Hiccup asked standing in the doorway.

I handed the picture to him, "I finished the drawing. I hope I got the details right."

Hiccup looked down at the drawing and a tear dropped on the paper.

"Your daughter was drawing that the night she disappeared wasn't she?" I whispered.

Max! Shadow snapped. Don't be rude!

I giggled, "Quiet Shadow."

"I...uh...thank you." Hiccup murmured still gaping at the drawing.

Shadow and I pushed past Hiccup and went outside.

"Come on. We gotta get going." I grabbed some yak jerkey from my saddle bag.

Astrid rushed out the door, "What about breakfast?!"

I held up my jerkey, "I have some thanks. We have a really long flight ahead of us."

Hiccup shoved past his wife, "Wait! I want you to have this!"

He handed me the drawing I finished of Toothless.

"I can't accept this." I passed it back to him.

Hiccup shook his head, "I insist."

I carefully set the drawing in my saddle bag, "Thank you."

"Be careful." Hiccup added.

Toothless nuzzled Shadow before he took off towards our island.

"That drawing looked familiar Shadow." I murmured.

I've heard stories about Toothless. So many. His heroics with his rider. Maybe that's why.

"No that can't be it." I shook my head.

Well I-

He stopped, "What is it Shadow?"

He took a big whiff of the air and dove, Beserkers.

"Let's get 'em" I pulled up my hood and drew my sword.

Shadow dove letting out a shrill whistle breaking our cloud cover. He got close enough so I could cut the sails and blow their weapons.

"IT'S THAT DAMN GIRL!" Dagur cried out holding up a fist. "SHOOT HER DOWN!"

I chuckled and cut another sail. Suddenly more ships came from the fog carrying the Outcast crest.

"Oh Thor..." I whined.

"My back up! Oh how it's beautiful!" Dagur kissed his fingertips and outstretched his arms.

There's too many!

"We can do it. Come on Shadow." I gripped my sword tighter and hung on to the saddle.

Shadow dove towards the Outcasts firing multiple plasma blasts at the ships.

"I WANT THAT GIRL AND HER DRAGON ALIVE!" I heard Alvin yell.

"Come on Shadow!" I cheered.

"Fire!!" Alvin screamed.

I swung my foot over to the side ready to jump as the bola came towards us.

No don't do it!

I jumped. I sliced the bola and did a front flip landing on the boat with my fist on the wood. Shadow landed next to me growling.

You're crazy.

"Stand down Alvin." I pointed my sword at him.

"You're outnumbered!" Dagur yelled his ships with backup sails came into view.

I sheathed my sword and raised my hands, "Sorry bud."

It'll be okay