Chapter 18

Max's POV 2 Days Later

Shadow landed on the docks of the island. I put the map away and pulled my hood down. It looked just like a normal village except filled with young kids fighting with swords in training exercises. They all looked about my age except they were all boys.

"Oh great. I'm the only girl." I grumbled.

It'll be fine. Who knows? You could see others later on.

A young man with dark brown hair and hazel eyes made his way over to me, "You must be Max!" He stuck his hand out. "I'm Jack. I'll be your instructor and your roommate. Well house-mate."

I giggled, "You're 18. How can you be an instructor?"

"My father is the chief of the island. Taught me everything I know. Come. Let's walk." Jack started walking across the beach. "He said I should teach students. Once he heard you were coming he wanted me to teach you."

"What's the big deal? I'm just a girl." I shrugged and glanced at Shadow.

"Just a girl?! The whole world has heard about you and your heroics. Defeated Alvin and Dagur only coming back with a few scars." Jack stopped and turned me so I was facing him. "You're a hero Max. Here you'll be the best of the best. I promise you that."

"Thanks Jack." I grinned.

"Come on. Let's get you settled." Jack turned and went up into the forest.

I ran after him, "So when do we start?"

"Tomorrow. You need to rest." Jack opened the door to his house.

"Does your Dad expect a lot out of you?" I blurted out.

"Yes...does yours?" Jack raised an eyebrow and handed me a slice of bread along with some yak milk.

"He's so protective. I don't even know why he sent me here. He believes it's for the best." I sighed in annoyance. "Do you have dragons here? Is that why your house is abnormally large?"

There was a large thump on the roof, "That would be my dragon. Windspark. He's a..."

A glimmering dark blue with black speckles dragon came in the front door.

"Razorwhip...wow..." I murmured. "He's handsome."

"Come on. Let's get you upstairs." Jack said rubbing Windspark's head.

I stood up and we followed him to where I'll be staying. I flopped down on the bed.

"I'll see ya in the morning." Jack closed the door.

I closed my eyes and went to sleep.

Fire. Everywhere. It licked at the house's including my own on Berk. The village was destroyed and I couldn't find my father. That's when I saw a black reptilian shape curled in a ball. I ran over and noticed it was Toothless.

"Toothless! Come on bud!" I shook him.

Max...

He unfurled his wings to reveal the lifeless body of my father.

I screamed, sitting upright. Jack bursted into my room not wearing a shirt showing off his golden abs.

"What's going on? Are you okay?!" Jack demanded rushing over to my bed. He grabbed the sides of my head and looked into my eyes. "Are you hurt?!"

"No. No I'm fine!" I grabbed one of his wrists for security. "It was just a nightmare. You're not wearing a shirt..."

Shadow made a noise that sounded like laughter. Jack ran a thumb over my cheek bone.

"You're crying..." He whispered.

"I'm fine..." I scooted away and pulled the blanket up to my chin.

Jack stood up and went to leave.

"Jack. Wait." I scooted over to give him some room. "Can you stay? Please..."

Jack smirked and climbed in.

No funny business.

Jack kissed my forehead, "Try and sleep."

I closed my eyes and fell into a dreamless sleep.