Chapter 17

Max's POV

"Shadow! We gotta catch them!" I yelled clinging to the saddle.

Snotlout had the black sheep, well Hookfang had it in his claws. I had the highest score but I needed that sheep.

Get on my tail. I have a plan.

I crawled to his tail and stood up. I felt him fling me towards Hookfang's claws. I stretched out my arms and grabbed the sheep, landing back on the saddle. Shadow spun upside down and I dumped the black sheep in my basket. The crowd went wild at my trick. Shadow landed next to my dad and roared.

"Nice job. I've never seen that before." My dad smiled.

"It wasn't even my idea. Now if you'll excuse me I have a date with your dragon." I started to walk off with Toothless and Shadow flanking me.

The cove was beautiful; the glistening pond with shiny fish swimming in it.

"Wow Toothless this is gorgeous..." I laid back and watched the clouds drift by.

My favorite spot...

2 Years Later

I'm seventeen years old now. In fact my birthday was yesterday. I was heading down the stairs when I heard my parents' voices murmuring.

"Hiccup she's young. You really wanna do this?" I heard my mom say.

"She's ready. She'll have Shadow with her." Hiccup replied.

"We just got her back." My mother said more sternly.

That's when I jumped down into the main floor, "What's going on?!"

My father fell silent and my mom walked outside with a basket of chicken.

"There's an island. Two days from here where they train future chiefs. Vikings heir to the throne train like warriors so they can take care of their village. These people are ancient warriors that seem to live forever." Dad began.

My eyes narrowed as I leaned against the railing, "Go on."

"You will be going there..." Hiccup slowly said.

I exploded, "YOU'RE SENDING ME AWAY?! I WAS GONE FOR TEN YEARS THEN I CAME BACK AND NOW I'M LEAVING AGAIN!"

Hiccup stood up, "Max calm down! This for the best!"

Shadow came bounding downstairs baring his teeth.

"Why are you sending me away?!" I demanded.

"You need to train. To be fast. Strong. A leader." My father said.

"How long will I be gone?" I clenched my fists.

"3 years." Hiccup swallowed.

I shook my head tears starting to form and ran upstairs to pack my stuff. Shadow followed me up and nudged my hand.

I can't believe we're leaving again.

I rubbed his head, "I know bud. This sucks."

I heard my mother's footsteps in my doorway, "Max..."

"I don't want to talk to you either." I continued to throw clothes into a basket.

A pair of black leather fingerless gloves dropped on the ground.

"Your father made those for you when you were little. So you could wear them one day when you're older." My mother said.

I tossed them in the basket and shoved past her. I stalked downstairs and out the door towards the docks.

"Max! Wait!" I heard my father call out.

I turned around and watched him run forward with the map in his hand, "You'll need this."

I snatched it up and tied the basket to Shadow's saddle.

"I'm sorry Max..." Hiccup said.

I said nothing as I climbed Shadow. He glanced at Toothless one last time before taking off into the morning sky.