Chapter 24

Max's POV

I laid awake all night on my stomach staring at the darkness.

You just have to hang on.

Shadow was across the arena but I could still hear him. I groaned in annoyance and pain.

"I should've seen it coming. When parents were leaving I could see in the other students that something is wrong." I murmured.

They knew this was going to happen.

"I need to talk to Riley." I said. "I have to know what's going on."

I tried to stand to go over to the door but I collapsed from the pain.

Max. Just calm down and relax. Don't try to move, your wounds will open up again. Think of a plan. Let yourself heal before you try anything.

The door opened again.

It was Jack. Alone.

He was holding the same small metal container and a food tray. He opened the cell door and came inside shutting it behind him. I was still lying on the ground keeping my eyes on Shadow's cell across the arena.

"Why are you doing this?" I asked. "Healing me."

"Dad wants you healthy before he tries again. Doesn't want you to die. Not to mention what the world or your father would do to us if we killed you." Jack replied lifting up my tattered shirt and rubbing the ointment all over my back.

"You shouldn't be worried about my dad. You should be worried about Toothless. He could send an entire army of dragons if you killed me." I retorted.

Jack chuckled slightly, "You have a point."

"Jack..." I pleaded. "Tell me what's going on. Tell me why you're really doing this..."

Jack froze and put the ointment away, "I can't Max...."

I turned my head away, "Fine...go away."

Jack stood up and left leaving me alone.

Time Skip

I tapped my cup on the bars on the cell door, "I HAVE TO PEE!"

I was kneeling on the ground still in a lot of pain.

A guard came through and crossed his arms in front of his chest, "Pee on the floor."

"Don't be ridiculous. I'm a girl. I don't pee on floors. Now if you want to be a gentlemen you'll let me go pee in a real bathroom!" I yelled throwing the cup through the cell hitting the man in the chest.

He didn't even flinch, "Fine."

I slowly stood up as he opened the door, "And I want my cloak too. It's chilly in here. And the cloak is collecting dust."

The guard shoved me in front of him and handed me my cloak, "Anything else you want?"

We started to walked out of the arena.

I noticed no one was really around. I grinned and glanced at Shadow who was looking up at me as I almost disappeared from his sight.

Try not to kill him....and make sure you come back....

"What's your dragon saying?!" The guard demanded.

I smirked, "Not much. Just this."

I elbowed him in the face knocking the guard out.

I took off in a limp-run looking for Riley.