Chapter 21 - Company

*Mitch's POV*

I was expecting Kirstie to walk through my hospital room door but I definitely didn't expect Scott to follow after her. My Mom had come back to the hospital with Faye to visit and bring me some clothes and other things at around 1:30pm, but my little sister quickly got impatient and they both left about an hour later. I wasn't able to shower without an assistant, but I was too embarrassed to ask anyone to help me so I probably smelt a little.

I had just woken up from a short nap when Kirstie arrived and I was incredibly happy to see her. Don't get me wrong, I was happy to see Scott too but after our little confrontation on the front lawn last night I would rather just have my best friend with me right now, but he was here now and there wasn't really anything I could do about it. Kirstie leaned down to give me a hug, whispering in my ear as she did so.

"He asked me if he could come and I couldn't really say no," she said, referring to Scott. "He heard me talking on the phone earlier this morning to your Mom."

"It's fine Kirst," I whispered back, making sure the tall blonde didn't hear me.

Scott walked over to the bed, grabbing a chair and dragging it a little closer to me. Kirstie did the same and soon we were chatting and laughing easily, like we had all been friends for years. Scott always acts so different around me, and I don't know whether to be offended or pleased. It seemed as though he was getting more comfortable around Kirstie and I was glad that he was starting to open up to more people.

There was an undeniable tension happening between Scott and I but I don't think Kirstie noticed; well I hope she didn't. The pair visited for a few hours but when my eyelids started to droop and I didn't really participate in the conversation that was going on they decided to leave, concluding that it was a good idea that they both be home for dinner. By the time they had gathered their things I was falling asleep for a few minutes at a time, being awoken by something someone had said or a noise that was made.

I heard both of the chairs being dragged back to their original positions before Kirstie leaned over and kissed my cheek. I didn't open my eyes but I let her know that I was listening but smiling at her slightly.

"Bye Mitchie, I'll be back in the morning to wish you good luck for your surgery." When I didn't reply, she walked out of the room leaving Scott and I alone. I kept my eyes closed, not wanting to be blinded by the bright hospital room lights that were currently on. The room was quiet once Kirstie left and everyone had stopped talking, and I could hear Scott breathing. He walked the few steps to the side of my bed and took my hand; unsure as to whether I was asleep or not. Soon, I felt Scott's soft lips being placed on the back of my hand.

"I don't know if you're listening or not but good luck tomorrow Mitch. I don't think I'll be able to come and see you before your surgery in the morning so I hope everything goes well and your leg isn't too sore when it's all finished." He was silent for a moment, before I felt his lips once again come into contact with my skin, but this time I felt the warmth that they brought on my forehead.

I tried my hardest not to smile at the small action, and luckily Scott had his back already turned.

"See ya later Mitch," the blonde boy said. Just as he was about to leave the room I spoke up, letting Scott know that I was aware of everything that just happened.

"Bye Scott."

-------------------

I was woken up at around 7pm when my nurse, Anna entered the room to give me the dinner items I had ordered for the night. She was the nurse that will be looking after all my meals and anything else I might need while I was staying here in the hospital. I guessed she was probably in her 50's or 60's and she was incredibly sweet.

"Hey pet," she greeted me, placing my food tray on the table beside my bed. "Once you've finished, I'm going to help you to the shower. The surgeon requested that you be nice and clean for the procedure tomorrow." My face must have shown a hint of embarrassment mixed with worry as Anna spoke up quickly.

"Don't worry; I'm not going to look at anything," she chuckled. "There is a seat in there for you to sit on so I'll just be helping you into the room and onto the bench; then when you're finished and dry back into bed." The aging woman smiled at me and left me to eat, requesting that I call for her once I was finished eating dinner.

I turned on the television while I ate, watching whatever popped up on the screen first. As asked, when I was finished eating I called for Anna and she helped me into the shower. I hadn't really looked closely at my leg, so when I was stripped of all my clothes I noticed that the majority of my leg was covered in nasty looking bruises. It wasn't really a surprise though; the limb was very badly injured. I tried not to look at it again while I was showering as it scared me a little, and it reminded me of the procedure I was going to endure tomorrow morning. Anna was waiting by the door when I had finished washing up and she helped me back into bed when I had gotten dressed. She left the room for a quick moment before returning with a pair of crutches, leaving them up against the side of my bed so I could access them easily if I needed to go to the toilet or get of bed for some reason.

I took out my phone and texted my Mom, saying goodnight to her and telling her I looked forward to seeing her in the morning. Something about the emptiness in the hospital and in my room made me feel lonely, and I found myself wanting to talk to everyone all at once.

--------------------

The next morning I was woken up by my mother entering the room with my little sister in tow. The pair kept me company while I was waiting for the doctor to come and get me and take me into surgery. About an hour after my family arrived, my bubbly best friend burst through the door with a bunch of flowers in her hand and a balloon tied to a teddy bear.

"Kirstie!" I exclaimed happily. "You didn't have to!" The blonde just smiled and thrust the gifts into my hands, leaving the flowers on the cabinet in the corner of the room.

I was glad that my three favourite women were all in the room with me before the surgery. I was starting to get incredibly nervous and I hadn't slept much the night before. They all chatted away, talking to me and each other to keep my mind off the fact that my leg was going to be cut open in a few short hours.

The time eventually came and a different nurse entered the room with a wheelchair. I kissed my mother and Faye, and hugged Kirstie tightly. 'Good luck' and 'I love you' was thrown about the room, before each of the girls hugged me once more. Mom and Faye were going to go home for a few hours during the surgery but were going to come back and see me after the procedure. Kirstie, unfortunately had a few things she needed to do but I appreciated the fact that she had come to keep my company yesterday and this morning.

I was helped into the wheelchair by the nurse and I looked over my shoulder as I was being wheeled through the empty corridors, blowing a kiss to my little sister and mouthing 'I love you' to my mother one last time. I knew nothing bad was going to happen during the procedure and I knew I wasn't going to die or anything but I was still scared.

A/N -  Hiya! Bit of a filler chapter, so sorry about that! I'm still not really sure which direction this story is heading and I have no idea when it will be ending so sorry if it all seems a little disconnected. I have a few ideas but I'm not sure how I'm going to wrap it all up so bear with me if updates aren't very regular. 

Anyways, my chapterly obsession is ice cream sandwiches. I know, it's a little bit random but you have to admit they are delicious! Let me know what your obsession is in the comments, and don't forget to follow me and vote for the chapter. Love you all and thank you so much for reading and supporting Another World :)

- Abby xx