0.1; "Today's the day."

Beep

Beep.

Beep.

Beep!

Beep!

My eyes suddenly flew open, heart racing, as I tried to process what just happened. I threw my hand over to my nightstand, slamming my hand on the off button. I was scared to turn over to the other side of the bed, but I did it anyway. Suddenly the sunlight shone into my eyes, making me wince. Logic right? My heart was racing as I swiftly twirled over, as my back lay flat against my bed as my eyes stared at the bare ceiling.

"Today's the day."

I said to myself, a wave of excitement yet nervousness rushed over me. I just couldn't believe it. Today's the day I start high school. I'm finally a freshman.

Me and my family have just moved to New York. We used to live in Florida, but my parents jobs had got transferred, as my dad teaches middle schoolers, and my mom's lawsuit company got moved to downtown New York. So here we are. Here I am. In the middle of New York City, and today's my first day at Abigail Adams High School.

If I'm being totally honest, I'm more excited than nervous. Yes, I don't know anybody here and I'm going to a completely unfamiliar school filled with teenagers and new teachers, but, it's also new adventure. I'm excited to make new friends, and start a new life. Let's just say middle school back in Florida wasn't the easiest for me. But I've moved on and have grown from that experience, and I'm ready to take on the world.

Well, take on high school first. Then the world.

I pulled out my phone from underneath me, checking the time. I let out a small groan, as I stretched my limbs and threw my pillow over my face as I released a sigh.

I threw the warm covers off of me, as a chilly breeze instantly hit against my skin. I shivered, before placing my feet on the cold hardwood floors. There were brown cardboard boxes scattered all across my room, as the sunlight crept through my new bay window. I had a gorgeous view of New York through the window, though.

I smiled before hopping along into my bathroom. I shut the door before placing my iPhone onto a dock, and started to blast Beyonce's album. I slipped my pajamas off before trotting into the shower. After I finished with that I dried off and got dressed into some dark wash skinny jeans, a white lace off the shoulder blouse, and some classic white high top converse.

I blow dried my long brown hair before putting in soft curls. I did light makeup, some mascara, lipstick and blush. I sprayed on my favorite candy scented perfume, before brushing my teeth and heading down the hallway.

"Good morning!" My mom, Topanga, don't ask, greeted me with a smile and warm hug. "Good morning mom." I chuckled, before sitting down to eat breakfast that was aligned on the table. The everlasting scent of bacon and eggs lingering throughout the house, as I breathed it in. Suddenly my dad, Cory, appeared,

"Do I smell bacon?!" He grinned and I laughed before my little brother, Auggie, came racing in. "Bacon bacon bacon!" He chanted, as my dad picked him up and set him beside me. I smiled and gave him a light hug before stuffing my face with food. I would eat this everyday if I could, honestly. Suddenly my eyes set on the clock above the stove.

"I have to go! I'm going to be late!" I exclaimed, grabbing my book bag and phone before shoving one last piece of bacon in my mouth, giving my parents and Auggie a hug goodbye. "Good luck today sweetheart! We love you! Go take on the world." My dad said. I smiled at him. "I will."

I raced to the subway, just in time to hop onto the train. Thank gosh I made it in time. Being late on my first day would be absolutely embarrassing. I took a deep breath as the doors closed behind me. I've never rode on a subway train before, so I was kind of nervous.

Suddenly I heard a loud noise, before I felt myself get swiped underneath my feet. I fell back onto a seat luckily, and I could hear someone laughing at me. I looked over to my side, heart racing at the sudden movement. I saw a girl, who looked about my age, with pretty long blonde hair, pale skin and blue eyes.

"Have you ever rode on a subway train before?" The girl asked me, still giggling. I quickly adjusted myself. "How could you tell?" I scuffled, crossing my arms in embarrassment as I smoothed out the wrinkled edges on my shirt.

"Well, I can tell you're clearly not from here because number one, it's kind of human logic to hold onto something while on a subway train before it starts when you live around here, and two, you didn't. So therefore I'm just guessing." She smiled.

I looked down to my hands and laughed, a flush of heat rushing to my bare cheeks.

"Yeah I'm not from around here, I just moved here a few days ago from Florida." I replied. Her eyes suddenly lit up like sparks. "Florida? I've always wanted to go to Florida. I've painted and drawn pictures of it before, but have never been. I've been stuck in New York my whole life." She said. I raised my eyebrow.

"You can go anywhere you want someday if you just hope and set your mind to it." I smiled, my usual positive persona coming in play. She just shrugged her shoulders. "Hope isn't for me. Hopes for suckers. And I've learned my lesson about that." She spoke. I quizzically furrowed my eyebrows together.

"I'm Maya, Maya Hart." The girl said. I grinned. "I'm Riley Matthews." I responded.

She smiled back. "I like you Riley, you're different. You seem cool." She said. "Well if being clumsy and getting knocked back by a subway train is cool then, okay." I laughed. She giggled. "Where are you heading to?" She asked curiously, crossing one of her legs over the other. "John Quincy Adams high school." I replied back. Her eyes suddenly went wide like saucers.

"No way! That's where I'm heading, today's my first day there!" She exclaimed. I suddenly felt a sense of relief, as the pit in my stomach began to drift away. "What a coincidence. Same for me! I'm a freshman." I smiled wide. "Whats your schedule, let's see if we have any of the same classes."

I pulled out my papers and showed her. She smiled in disbelief.

"We have all the same classes together but one, photography."

I grinned. "I can tell we're going to be good friends, Riley Matthews."

I smiled as I instantly felt some of my nerves float away. I have nothing to worry about. I'm going to be just fine.

"Same, Maya Hart."