3.9; "I've got you."

R I L E Y

I felt my body begin to shake, as I stared down to my feet. The subway was shuffling, as I grasped onto the silver pole in front of me, to hold my balance. I was so lost in my thoughts, in my feelings.

There was so much to think about, what happened Saturday left me completely phased, how he had so much of an affect on me. It's left me breathless ever since.

"Riley?" I heard my best friends voice, as I turned my head over towards her. "Yeah?" I asked. "We're stopped, we should go before the doors close." She spoke, gesturing to around. I looked around the subway, seeing that everyone was basically gone. Wow, was I in a daze for that long?

I went over, linking arms with Maya, before we walked out and headed up the subway stairs, down the street.

We walked in silence, Maya granting me permission to think and wonder as I pleased. Once our school came into sight, I felt this heavy loud drop onto my shoulders as my stomach churned. I told Maya everything that had happened with Conner, and she told me she wouldn't leave my side.

But suddenly, I felt a familiar touch to the other side of my body. I looked over, my eyes meeting with Lucas'. He was linking onto my other arm as well, smiling.

"I've got you." He whispered, only so I could hear. I lightly smiled, realizing that I had Maya and Lucas by my side, and that Conner wouldn't stand a chance against us.

We began to walk inside school, the nerves starting to settle in. I could tell that something was up with Lucas, he looked distracted, like something was extremely bothering him, he seemed almost nervous.

I looked over to Maya, as I chewed on the side of my lip. She pursed her lips, before her head turned to the side. She saw Josh, and he gave her a smile. She nodded towards him, and suddenly his smile faded away, and he went back to talking to his friends.

I furrowed my eyebrows, that was odd. "What was that?" I asked. Her blue eyes looked over into mine, before she gave me her usual 'I'm fine.' smile. "Nothing." She replied.

I turned my head over to Lucas, yet he was staring straight in front of him. His eyes didn't look over to mine once, so I could tell that something was on his mind. I decided not to pressure him, besides we were in front of my first class, so it would have been useless to ask him anyway. Ever since Saturday, Lucas has been acting so weird, in the text messages, calls, and when we've seen each other since then.

They both released their grip on me, as they stared at me. "I'll be fine. He's not in this class anyway." I spoke. "But Brandon and Billy are." Lucas whispered to me. I shook my head. "They can't do anything. I'll be okay." I said, as I grabbed Lucas' hand. He immediately tensed up, but he let go a few seconds after. Normally he doesn't let go..

The bell rang, so I looked at them with wide eyes. "I'll be fine." I said one last time, before I gave them each a smile, as I turned on my heels and walked into my classroom, suddenly feeling slightly sick once I saw the two faces of the boys who attacked me the other night.

They didn't even notice me, thankfully, so I quickly sat down before class began to start.

............

                                                                               L U C A S

I sat down in my chair in my history class, as my leg shook from underneath the table. My mind couldn't concentrate one bit, all I could think about was Riley.