1.5; "Friend or nothing."

R I L E Y

I lied down in my bay window, with my head resting on my moms lap. I felt her stroke my hair as a tear rolled down my cheek.

"Why does life have to be so complicated, mom?" I asked. "Because that's how life goes, Riley. Sometimes things are complicated, but that doesn't always mean that they will be." She replied. I pursed my lips together and I shuffled, moving my hand underneath me.

"I broke up with Charlie Gardner. Because things are complicated, not him with, but—" "With someone else?" My mom cut me off. I bit the side of my cheek, thinking.

"How did you forgive dad, after all you guys went through?" I asked. I heard my mom lightly chuckle. "We both made mistakes. But we both decided to not forgive each other upon the mistakes we made, but forgive each other for the good things that we did do. I focused on the good things he had done." She smiled.

I just lied there, silent, confused, scared. I don't think I've ever felt this scared before in my entire life. Not even back in middle school.

"What do I do?" I ask quietly. I felt my mom hug me. "You listen to your heart." She responded.

I wiped the lonely tear that was rolling down my cheek.

"What if your heart is telling you two different things?" I whispered. "Then you hold on, and wait. One should be stronger than the other." She replied.

"Okay." I responded softly. We just lied there, before I heard a cluck on my window.

I sat up, rubbing the side of my cheek that was wet. Maya was now sitting down next to me.

"Hey Riles." She smiled, but I could tell that it was fake. I looked over to my mom.

"I have to get to work sweetie, I love you and I know you are in good hands." My mom kissed the temple of my forehead, before giving me a squeeze.

"Bye mom, thanks for everything." I softly smiled. She gave me a sad smile back. "I'll be back home soon okay?" She said. I nodded. She gave me another kiss on the forehead before rubbing my arm and walking out.

I took a deep breath, looking over to Maya. I smiled, rubbing my tears away. "Hi." I said. She didn't say anything, she just looked at me wide eyed.

"Who did this to you?" She asked. I looked down to my hands. She warned me about him, yet I still continued to wrap myself near him.

"Was it Missy?" She growled. I abruptly shook my head. "Then who the hell would—" She stopped herself from speaking. I looked back up to her.

"Lucas did this to you." She stated. I didn't know what to say. I should have listened to her, but I didn't.

"Lucas is making you feel like this?" She shouted, standing up. I stood up also.

"I didn't know what to do." I replied back. "Stay away from him! You should have stayed away from him in the first place, like I said!" She yelled. "He's a bad person! He's done so many bad things! Why the hell do you care so much for that asshole!"

I felt steam blow out of my ears. She doesn't know him, she doesn't know anything.

"Stop acting like you know everything! I'm sick of taking crap from you because of him!" I shouted loudly. Maya looked taken back. I don't know what has come over me lately.

"Why do you keep defending him!?" Maya spat. "I-I don't kno—" she abruptly cut me off. "Exactly! See he's twisting with your brain!" Maya yelled. "You're supposed to be my best friend, you're supposed to stand by me and help me not tell me what to do!" I said furiously.