Prologue

THE NEW VERSION IS HERE!! There are many countless new scenes in this new version. Enjoy reading. 

----------------------

Two years ago

"Come to The Bronze. She is waiting."
the unnamed text message read.

Perplexed, eyebrows scrunched he dialled the mysterious number. There was no response. Without further hesitation, he grabbed his car keys and dashed out of the house. He drove recklessly speeding down the narrow lanes. Not wanting to waste any precious minutes.

What was she doing at The Bronze?

He glanced at the car digital clock. It was 1am.

Why would she be out this late?

He clenched his teeth, changed gears and pushed the accelerator with all his strength. He relentlessly drove the empty roads of Dublin.

What was going on? Why did she lie to him? Tonight, he wanted answers.

The tires screeched as he came to a sudden stop in the narrow back alleys of the club. He didn't bother to park properly. Jumping out of the car, he banged the door behind him as he sprinted to the pub.

There were couples and group of friends out on the road. Some tipsy and some even drunk. Laughter filled through the silent night as people delighted in themselves. A man was swaying and singing. A woman was bending down on the street emptying her stomach. Oblivious of his surroundings, he shouldered his way through the crowd to the entrance of the club. After great shoving and pushing, he was at the threshold of the pub. The powerful stench of ale welcoming him.

It was worse inside. The pub was dimly lit. Music was blaring from the sound system. Beer was served from table to table. There were people all over the pub. Some dancing, others drinking and few lost amongst themselves. This was getting too much. It was hell. He had to find her fast and get her out of there.

Why would she come here? He kept questioning himself.

His gaze sought for the familiar female face. He rummaged the bar area, the different tables and the group of giggling women.

Nothing. He didn't recognise anyone there. Sighing in frustration, he headed to the stairs. He was striding past a couple in a heated embrace in the dark corner by the stairs when he froze.

There, in another man's arms was his beloved fiancé.

*****

In the darkened flat, she was walking up and down the flat soundlessly. Her eyes riveting back to the clock every few minutes. Eyebrows drawing together, forehead creasing, hands behind her back and lines forming around her mouth. She was ageing fast. Being a mother of daughters was a burden in the eyes of the society but to her far worse was the fate of being married to a reckless man.

The key chinked in the keyhole. He was home. With an abated breath, she waited as his heavy footsteps muffled on the stairs thin and weary carpet. He emerged at the hall doorway. His eyebrows rose in astonishment seeing her awake at the middle of the night.

"You're awake?" he grunted.

In his exhausting and defeating demeanour, he sluggishly walked passed her to the bedroom. She trailed behind him and closed the door. The clinking of the lock resonating in the quiet flat.

"You lost everything, didn't you?" she hissed.

He slumped on the bed, shoulders drooping and he buried his face in his hands. "I don't want to talk about it."

For the first time in years, she mustered up courage to speak up. How long could they go on like this?

She gritted her teeth, her hands fisting on her sides, "You will strip us of everything with this addiction of yours."

"Shut up woman," his head shot up and red brimmed eyes glared back at her.

In fear, she stepped back, "How long will I keep my silence?"

"One word out of you and see what I will do," he snarled in a deathly voice.

She shrank in the corner of the room, "We have nothing left. You will lead us to our doom." She whispered, unable to be brave enough to speak with conviction.

He ignored her words as he sprawled on the bed. Closing his eyes, he obliterated everything around him. Within seconds, he was softly snoring. 

Many minutes passed by, she stood in the corner staring at the man who had drastically changed in the last few years.

She worried for the future. How will she protect her daughters?

Bleakness was fast enveloping the household. Her daughters were the sole source of happiness now. She would shield them fiercely from this dark secret.

The secret that would haunt everyone. Especially Ramlah, her eldest daughter. 

----------------------

What are your thoughts? 

Until next time, 

Assalam u alaikum warahmatullahi wabarakatuhu.