Chapter 31

Fadil

Speak to me? And that too alone? For some reason, this made me uneasy. Was she kindly going to say no?

I wasn't able to respond to her request as I eyed her warily.

I could tell Dad was a little concerned, "It's late right now Ramlah, how about you and Fadil have this talk tomorrow when he is back from work?"

Ramlah smiled and nodded. As she raised up to leave with Ejaz in her arms, she glanced at me.

For the first time for as long as I remembered she smiled at me. A smile that reached her eyes. It was infectious, I smiled back. Her smile eased my heart apprehensions but also left a tingling feeling.

How was I going to wait another day to talk to her?

****

I was right. Time froze. The clocks ticked slowly. At work, throughout the day, I kept glancing at my watch every five minutes. I was excited, anxious and what not. It was hard to determine my feelings. When the clock ticked 5 pm, I grabbed my jacket and dashed out of my office room. In all my haste, I bumped into Saad,

"Woah, where to mate?" he glanced at his watch, "You always stay till 6 pm doing extra work. Why running off today?"

"I have a very important meeting tonight," I said breathlessly.

"What meeting? I had no idea of it," he furrowed his eyebrows.

"Not business but personal. A meeting that will change my life completely."

Saad chuckled softly, "Don't tell me, you are whipped as well." He narrowed his eyes, "Are you getting married?"

"I will answer to that tomorrow morning. I am out of here." Saad's mouth was hanging in the air when I left him staring at my retreating back.

My heart was pounding rapidly throughout my drive back home. And when I chimed the doorbell my excitement elevated as Ramlah opened the door. Momentarily our eyes met and then she lowered her gaze. She was slightly blushing as she stepped away,

"Assalam u alaikum" her voice wavered. I could tell she was nervous.

"Walaikum salaam." I greeted her. I wanted to ask if we can talk now. The anticipation was too much. But I didn't want to sound too eager as well instead I walked to the living room.

Dad was reading the newspaper. Ejaz was trying to roll over on the play mat.

"Assalam u alaikum" I greeted Dad and I knelt down to Ejaz, rubbing his tummy.

Dad muttered from behind the newspaper, "Walaikum salaam"

Ejaz eyes sparkled and it awed me that he was finally able to recognize me, "How are you today little guy?"

I was about to lift him in my arms when Dad's words stilled me, "Fadil why don't you change and come downstairs so Ramlah can talk to you."

My heartbeat had risen again. Nonchalantly, I patted Ejaz's tummy one last time and stood up. When I turned to leave, Ramlah was standing by Dad's sofa staring at me in wonder.

I left the room baffled, what did I do?

****

"Ramlah why don't you make tea for us and bring it to the backyard. I am taking Ejaz out also." Dad enjoined Ramlah and motioned me to follow him.

We sat on the garden chairs on the deck overlooking Dad's thriving garden. There were spring flowers blooming. Reds, pinks and magentas flowers had magnified the backyard. The fruit trees were slowly thriving back to life. There were buds seen in rose bush soon to blossom. It was an exceptionally warm day for late April. The sun was shining brightly heating up all that had frozen in the long icy winter. I inhaled the sweet flowery fragrance. Dad rocked Ejaz on his lap and overlooked his garden proudly.