Chapter 38

Fadil

"Have you seen my wallet and car keys?" I called out searching the coffee table. Where did I put them? I was getting late for work. I knelt down to look under the coffee table but there was nothing there.

"Here," Ramlah said extending the wallet and car keys in her hand.

I straightened and took them from her hands, "Where were they?"

"You left them on the kitchen counter last night."

I shook my head at my carelessness, for the last fifteen minutes I had been on a futile search for my wallet and keys in the living room and here Ramlah got them in just few seconds. I smiled at her, there sure were perks of having a wife, who knew about my belongings.

I walked to the door, "I better leave. It's getting late and I wasted my time looking for these." I pointed at the car keys and stuffed the wallet into my back pocket of my office pants.

Ramlah nodded and followed me to the door. Ejaz was in her arms who was trying his best to grab on to me so he could go on a drive.

"Not now buddy. When I come back I will take you out." I bent down and kissed the crown of his head.

"Take care ok? I will call you when I am free," I said straightening.

She nodded. I smiled in response. I wanted to kiss her like I always did but I refrained. I was not going to repeat my past mistakes.

I turned and twisted the door knob.

"Fadil?"

Scrunching my eyebrows, I looked at her over my shoulder. "Ya?"

For some reason, she fidgeted and wasn't able to meet my eyes. My frown deepened and I turned around, "What is it?"

Finally, she looked into my eyes and smiled, "Nothing. Have a great day."

"I will inshaa Allah"

****

"It's good to meet up for lunch. The last time we were together was when we were discussing Fadil's wedding," Saad thought out loud and took a bite of his Panini sandwich.

I nodded and hooked a cucumber piece on my fork.

"How's married life?" Saad enquired as he chewed his sandwich.

I looked up and smiled tenderly, "Alhumdulilah."

Saad chuckled, "You are completely smitten, mate," He glanced at Salman "Right Salman?"

But Salman was gazing out the window deep in thoughts.

"Salman?" Saad again called him. But there was no response. Saad had to shake Salman's arm to grab his attention. Salman blinked several times and then perplexedly gazed at us.

"What?"

"What is wrong? I haven't seen you this distracted before," I scowled.

He shook his head slowly, "Its stress at work."

"You know you can tell us." Saad said lightly smacking his shoulder, "We are here to give you any advice if you want."

"Dada jaan has been getting ill. He has decided soon to announce the new chairperson." Salman sighed.

"Then why are you worried?" I question taking the bite of the cucumber slice.

He picked up his fork and toyed with his untouched salad, "Daud has become very competitive at work. It's difficult to work with him." he dropped the fork on the plate and folded his arms on the table, "I think of him as my older brother but for some reason he is seeing me as a threat."