Chapter 22

Fadil

"Brother Fadil wait please" I was briskly walking out of the masjid after my tajweed class. I had to go to Mom's place as she wanted to discuss the wedding preparations.

I spun around when a breathless brother grabbed my arm, "Sorry brother to catch you like that, but I wanted to discuss something with you." He said with bated breath.

I nodded to encourage him, "yes brother what is it?"

"Well we are starting tafsir classes inshaa Allah next week, I was wondering if you will be interested."

I smiled broadly, "sure which days are the classes."

I couldn't believe this as the brother explained the schedule for the classes that finally I will be able to learn and understand the Quran. I couldn't thank Allah for the opportunity I was given. In the past few months my tajweed had improved comparatively and now inshaa Allah I will also understand what I am reciting.

****

I rubbed my hand over my beard, something I had grown in the last month as I sped through the Dublin streets that evening. Mom had been astonished. Fahd and Dad didn't comment. But I had decided I was doing this as following the Sunnah not for trend sake. I liked this new look. I felt content, knowing I was following the footsteps of the Prophet Muhammad (PBUH). I scowled, thinking over Maha's reaction. We never met since we got engaged three months back, but we occasionally spoke on the phone or texted each other. She was not pleased at all with the beard, apparently Mom had told her mother. What annoyed me the most was that she said I would look like an extremist. What was wrong with her thinking? It wasn't some ungroomed long beard, I had trimmed thick auburn brown beard hardly an inch long. The beard was a shade lighter than my hair. I sighed as I steered to the street where my parents' home was, I just had to be patient with her.

I rang the bell and immediately Ramlah opened the door, I lowered my gaze. That was something I was trying my best to practice. It was fairly easy but with Ramlah it was the most difficult task to lower my gaze. Her eyes would always mesmerize me and her innocent face....I mentally shook myself to stop thinking in that direction.

"Assalam u alaikum" she greeted stepping out of the way for me to come in.

"Walaikum salaam," I said moving to the living room where I was surprised to see Fahd seated and watching football. That was a change I had noticed in the last couple of months. Fahd had started spending more time with the family than being in the seclusion of his room. He glanced my way,

"Salaam bro, how you doing?" extending his hand.

His attitude had drastically improved, "Walaikum salaam, am good alhumdulilah" I replied a little startled, shaking his hand firmly and settling on the sofa.

"Ramlah, make an extra cup of tea for Fadil as well." He shouted, I presumed Ramlah was already making tea for him.

"Assalam u Alaikum, Fadil great you came early. I have so much to discuss with you." Mom stepped into the living room. I stood up to envelop her in a hug. She sat beside me and started explaining her long to-do list for the wedding.

In a couple of minutes, Ramlah carried a huge tray of tea and snacks to which Fahd promptly stood up taking it from her and I heard him murmuring to her, "you should have called me, it's heavy" she smiled in response. I had noticed a subtle change in their relationship but Fahd's concern was a surprise for me.

Ramlah served us all tea and I concentrated in listening to Mom and her wedding preparation details. I didn't understand why Maha's parents wanted a lavish wedding. I really didn't care, a small nikkah and valima would have been sufficient. But it seemed her parents were adamant in inviting all of Ireland.