Chapter 1

Ramlah

Cinnamon, cardamom, black peppers, turmeric and cloves. I mentally read as I helped Mama organize the spices for the takeaway shop.

"Hand me the chilli powder Ramlah," Mama requested as she stirred the chicken in a wok.

My fingers lingered on the countless number of spice bottles until I found the right one. I handed her the red chilli jar. Scooping a teaspoon of the spicy powder she sprinkled it over the sizzling chicken. Holding the wok with a mitten and carrying on with her stirring she asked, "So you were telling me Nawal's story."

I was standing by the spice rack organizing the different spices. "Oh yes Mama, so as I was saying to you. This guy and his family came to see her. The mother was so nosey she even asked why Nawal never wore braces." I narrated scrunching my nose in distaste.

Mama sighed, "my dear people have become very choosy when it comes to selecting a spouse for their sons or daughters."

"Ya Mama, the nerve of the woman," I said as I refilled the jar of coriander powder. "Mama you should ask mean questions to your future son in laws too when the time comes." I giggled and placed the lid on the jar.

"Naughty." Mama disapproved adding tomatoes to the wok. "By the way, I think the time is very near when we will be looking for your future husband." She faced me and winked.

"Mama..." I groaned in embarrassment wanting to hide behind the humongous bag of rice.

She giggled and I rolled my eyes. Just when I was about to open my mouth to respond, Baba entered the kitchen glaring at me. Instantly I straightened my posture and lowered my gaze.

"You are again lazing your time gossiping with your mother. Get back to work. And this time, work a little faster." He commanded firmly. I gulped, nodding I got to work at a faster pace.

Mama's back was to Baba. His harsh voice startled her and she jumped in astonishment dropping the yogurt box from her hand. The yogurt splashed onto the floor with a loud thud. There was a white mess everywhere on the kitchen tiles, the cupboards and some even on the electric cooker.

"LOOK WHAT YOU HAVE DONE!" Roared Baba. Now he was seething. He grabbed Mama's shoulder and slapped her on the face. She shrieked and squirmed under his hold. His grip tightened and he raised his hand again when a noise from the counter distracted him. Gritting his teeth he pushed Mama towards the spice rack and headed outside the kitchen. The carefully lined spice bottles I had just placed tumbled down the spice rack adding to the mess. All this time I was hurdled to a corner afraid to be anywhere near Baba.

Mama was trembling and pressing her hands on her chest as if trying to control the trauma her heart had just endured. Slowly I approached her. I took her sweaty shivering hands in mine and tugged her loosened hair behind her ear. I winced observing the redness on her cheek. She took a deep breath and warily peered at the stove. She gasped, "Ramlah the food." Her efforts of cooking a delicious chicken curry were ruined as the chicken burned and turned into char. How many times did we have to face this kind of situation?

****

"It's getting worse and worse" I heard Baba speak to someone at one of the tables of the takeaway shop.

It was a family run business that my parents were running and I was helping them out since I finished high school. I was dusting the heater of the takeaway shop when I overheard the conversation my father was having with some man seated in one of the tables.

"Sadiq, you better do something fast. Time is running, they confiscate the building." He advised.

My eyebrows creased, What was going on? I was cleaning the chairs and lingering near earshot to further hear the conversation.