Chapter 30

Fadil

Ya Allah this is not how I wanted her to know my intention to marry her.

My eyes scanned her furious face. She took a step near me. She was breathing hard and I could see she was trying to control her anger. She had taken my statement in the wrong sense. Her next words confirmed my dreading.

"I am not a toy that can be tossed from one brother to the next," she hissed through gritted teeth.

Tears brimmed in her eyes. I wanted to wipe those tears and reassure her, I never meant to belittle her. I tried,

"Ramlah please it's not what you think..."

She held up her hand stopping me to further speak, "Please Fadil save it. I don't want to hear it."

I clamped shut my mouth. She was too angry to reason. She whirled around and faced Mom. Mom was glaring at her in repulsion as if she had some kind of infectious disease.

"Mom only Allah will separate me from my son," her voice was clogged with emotion, "No one will take way my son from me."

She pointed her index finger at Mom. "You want me to go. I will leave and so will your grandson. But before I go, let me clear one thing. I didn't kill your son. It was his lust that killed him."

She turned to me, "Tell your mother what you saw on his phone, who he had been in contact with in the last week of his life. Who probably forced him to the divorce?"

Tears trickled down her face, "I did my best to help him. I did my very best. I know what I went through. I will never open my mouth regarding that. He is no more and there is no point in complaining about him."

She again faced Mom, "But you have no right to accuse me of something I didn't commit."

I had never seen Ramlah this angry. Mom and I were speechless. It seemed the emotions that had been buried in her had erupted like a volcano.

She spun around to leave, due to all this commotion Dad had come downstairs from his room and was silently observing. He was standing near the doorway. Ramlah tried to pass by him. But he stopped her by placing his hand on her shoulder.

"I will say this once and only once." He glanced at Mom, me and then Ramlah, "Ramlah will not step out of this house until I am alive."

Ramlah started shaking her head but Dad continued, "You call me Dad don't you? Am I not your father?"

He encircled his arm around her, "No one can tell you to go out of this house Ramlah until I am living. You have right in this house as Fadil. If Fadil is my son, you are my daughter. Never ever think of leaving. This is your home. And it will always be your home."

Ramlah sobbed and rested her head on Dad's chest, he hugged her and patted her head tenderly.

"Come on beti go to bed with no worries. I will always protect you from all adversaries," he glared at Mom over Ramlah's head.

Shoulders slumped, with hesitant steps Ramlah went up the stairs to her bedroom. Once the click sound of the bedroom door being closed was heard, Dad turned to Mom.

"Rubina this is the last time I hear you demeaning Ramlah. I will never accept a single word against her. She is very dear to me. She is the mother of my grandson and I have seen in the last one year how Fahd treated her and still she never complained to us. You should be grateful to her that she kept your honour and didn't ask for a divorce when knowing her husband was cheating on her."

Mom opened her mouth to speak but Dad quietened her, "Enough Rubina I don't want to hear any more. This matter has ended here." His eyes darted at me, "Fadil I want to speak to you. Go to your room and I will come there."