Chapter 34

Fadil

"There is only one thing missing" I whispered into her ear.

We were still staring at each other in the mirror. Ramlah frowned and I took out the box from behind me and opened it. Her eyes flickered to it and then at me.

"I had bought this for you. I wanted to gift you last night. But I forgot to give it to you."

She gasped peering in the box. There was a yellow gold chain with a diamond heart shaped locket.

She started shaking her head, "No Fadil, I don't need anything. You have already done so much for Ejaz and me."

I placed my finger on her lips to shush her. Her eyes widened, "This is a gift for my wife." Gazing into her eyes, I said huskily, "I want her to wear it all the time reminding her of our wedding." I wanted to say, it was a token of love but I refrained. She wouldn't believe or understand me right now. Inshaa Allah with time she will recognize my love for her.

Her eyes softened. I took out the chain and the locket from the box and murmured, "Turn around."

She slowly turned around again facing the mirror. Taking the two ends of the chain, I encircled it around her neck. I slipped my hands under her dupatta that was pinned on her head. My fingers lightly touched the back of her neck. I could feel the tiny hair at her nape rising. The diamond locket sparkled in the daylight. Her trembling fingers touched it, "it's beautiful".

I fastened the lock of the chain and whispered, "You are beautiful."

Our eyes still locked on the mirror, I bent my head and lightly trailed my lips on the side of her neck. She shut her eyes and was breathing hard. I could see the rise and fall of her chest. Her fruity citrusy scent was intoxicating my senses. Closing my eyes, I tenderly kissed the spot where her neck was curving into her shoulder. I slipped my arms around her waist and gently pulled her back towards me. Her back nearly touching my chest.

I wanted to embrace her. Nothing more. But she slightly stiffened. Confused, I lifted my head from her shoulder and saw the fear back in her eyes. Immediately, I loosened my hold on her and stepped back.

She whirled around, eyes lowered and fiddling with her clutch bag, "I ... I ..."

"It's ok Ramlah. I understand." I reassured her softly.

She opened her mouth to speak but nothing came out. This was difficult for her. I had to take it slow.

Forcing a smile, "Shall we go?"

Still eyes lowered she nodded. She went to wear her hijab, abaya and jacket and I waited for her in the living room blindly gazing out the window.

I was consumed in my thoughts to notice the serene atmosphere of Dublin's Sunday afternoon. Deep down, I was a little hurt. But I knew I had to be patient with her and with time she will learn to trust and accept me as her husband.

A niggling voice said, what if she never trusts me?

Shutting my eyes, stuffing my hands in my pants pockets, I exhaled.

"Fadil?"

I spun around and there she stood with guilt in her eyes. All doubts were gone. No, I had to be patient. She wants to try this. I can see and feel it in her.

I walked up to her and hesitantly extended my hand towards her. She smiled into my eyes and without any reservation placed her hand in mine. My heart soared.

Time and patience were the keys here.

Locking the apartment I silently prayed,

Ya Allah, blossom trust in Ramlah's heart.