Chapter 39

Fadil

It was a warm summer evening. After coming back from work, I sauntered into the kitchen where Ramlah was doing last minute preparations for dinner. Ejaz was sitting on his play mat playing with his toys.

"Alhumdulilah Mom is not angry anymore," I said leaning by the kitchen counter observing Ramlah adding chopped coriander leaves into the pot.

"Hmm... yes alhumdulilah," she replied distractedly, opening the spices cabinet and was fiddling with different spice jars.

"I really don't want any misunderstandings in the family. As it is, we hardly have anyone except Mom and Dad." I picked up a spoon from the kitchen counter and was tracing its outline with my finger.

"I know Fadil and I completely agree. Life is too short and there is no point in staying angry with one another." She murmured sprinkling Garam masala powder in the pot. Grabbing a teaspoon from the cutlery stand she spooned a small amount of the hot curry from the pot and blew on the spoon to cool it down. When she was satisfied that it wasn't that hot, she tasted it. She had a gratifying expression after tasting the curry.

"Hmm...good." she turned to me and pleasantly smiled, "Dinner is ready."

I pushed myself away from the kitchen counter and opened the plates' cabinet and helped her set the dinner.

Taking the first bite of the Chicken Handi (curry), I complimented, "You are right this is good. Reminds me of how it is served in a Pakistani restaurant."

She beamed and broke a piece of her roti and gave it to Ejaz to suck on it, "Alhumdulilah that you like eating whatever I cook."

"Sweetheart, I would happily eat anything you cook." I winked.

"Even karela (bitter gourd)," she teased.

I nearly chocked on my next bite, "Well I never thought you could cook karela."

She chuckled, "Be careful of what you say then." She slyly smiled.

Once the dinner was over and Ejaz was asleep, we sat down on the living room sofa for our late night green tea. But this time, I wasn't watching television rather a laptop was on my lap and I was researching on different holiday locations.

"Ramlah you still haven't told me where you want to go for holiday. I want to take you the week after Eid."

She leaned forward and peered at the screen of the laptop, "Well, there is one place I had in my mind."

"Ya?" I glanced at her.

"I wanted to go for Umrah but I think Ejaz is too young and he wouldn't let me concentrate in worshipping so I thought of another close by Muslim country to visit." She explained, her eyes still scanning the contents of the screen.

I tilted my head to gaze at her face, "Where?"

"Istanbul."

I said without hesitation, "Done"

Her gaze shifted to mine, her lips twitched upwards, she whispered, "Thank you."

As I turned to the laptop to search on Turkey I felt her light feathery kiss on my cheek. Momentarily, making me forget what I was supposed to search on.

****

Ramadan had started. The days were long. Summer days were very long in Ireland as it was located near the North Pole. The days were nearly 20 hours long in the first week of June when Ramadan started. Fajr was around 2.30am and Maghrib was around 10pm. I was fasting but Ramlah wasn't since she was breastfeeding Ejaz. The first two days were very difficult when my body was getting used to being away from food for so many hours. But Ramlah ensured I ate well during iftar when breaking the fast and suhour a light meal before fajr.