Chapter 15: Part II

Ramlah

Curled up on one of the plush armchairs at the sitting room of the hotel suite, I bleakly gazed out the grey skies looming the scenic view that no longer fascinated me. I hugged my knees that were raised up and buried my head into them. Tears trickled down my eyes, to my nose landing on my lap. I heaved. I was trembling from fright. Why did I trust him? For those hours at the garden, I had started trusting him, believing in happiness. I was wrong. Very wrong. I smiled dismally as I rubbed my wet cheek on my knee and looked at the direction of the bedroom where he slept peacefully even though it was approaching noon.

Once he was asleep last night, I had moved away from the bed. I didn't want to be near it. Instead I sat on this sofa for hours seeking peace until it was Fajr time. With a heavy heart, I had stood up to get ready for prayer. In those blissful moments during the prayer when I went down in prostration I couldn't control my emotions. My shoulders shook and I wept in front of my Lord. Pleading mercy and solace.

Hours went by and I was still on the armchair. Sleep was deprived. Hunger had vanished. Fatigue was setting in. My body ached. But my soul was shattered. How do I handle him? I laughed humourlessly, what a test I had been faced with. I always thought I had solutions for all problems. I was proud of the fact that I could solve anything. How wrong I was.

He groaned. I stiffened shutting my eyes. What awaits me now? From the corner of my eyes, I saw him sitting up, a hand pressing his head. Of course, he would have a headache after drinking so much. He grabbed the 1ltr mineral water bottle from the night stand and greedily gulped every last drop of it. For a long time, he didn't move. And then, he stood up and sluggishly ambled to the bathroom. I held my breath.

"Ramlah?"

My eyes fluttered open. My nervousness and fatigue had led me to close my eyes. I must have dozed off. I looked at him warily. Scrutinizing his every move. He sat on the armchair opposite mine. He had just come out of the shower wearing a new pair of jeans and t-shirt. He quietly stared at me. His gaze trying to understand me. He opened his mouth once and then shaking his head he shut it. He did this twice before he stood up leaned by the window.

Running his hand through his slightly wet hair he started, "Ramlah, about last night..."

There was a long silence. He had a faraway look.

"There are somethings in my past that haunts me." he said quietly. He exhaled and continued, "I have never spoken to anyone about it. I ...I ... what I mean is I will tell you with due time. I...just be patient." He turned his emotional eyes to mine, "Please" he whispered.

Our gazes locked for a long time neither of us moved. Both trying to read the other. Finally, I looked away. "Paul is a regular customer at my father's take away shop. He recognized me and wanted to say hello." I said softly. I had to get this clear. I wanted him to know I don't plan to cheat or have any male friends.

He nodded, bowing his head in remorse. "I...I..." he cleared his throat, "Are you hungry?"

I shook my head. He frowned, "You have to eat. I am ordering" he said going towards the room telephone, "do you have any preferences?"

I shook my head again with only one thought in my mind he never even apologized.

****

When I walked out of the bathroom dressed in sweater dress and jeans, the food was placed at the siting room table. I ignored it and decided to pack my belongings. I knew we had to check out soon. I stood shocked at the entrance of the bedroom watching in amazement. There sitting on the King sized bed, Fahd was folding and stacking my clothes neatly that I had discarded carelessly last night.