Chapter Sixteen

The food was exquisite, and the champagne was some of the best that Connie had ever had. They were sat in silence, just listening to the birds and the swishing of the trees, after finishing their meal. After a few minutes, Connie turned to face Jacob, and she found he was already looking at her, with a look of complete admiration, and what she thought was love. She smiled back at him, trying to reflect his loving gaze, and they sat like this for a short while.

"Peckham," she said, finally, taking a sip of champagne from the glass.

"Sorry?" Jacob replied, barely able to speak due to the serenity of the atmosphere.

"I was born and raised in Peckham." Jacob smiled and looked at the table, while Connie kept her gaze firmly on her date.

"I can't believe it," he laughed. "Connie from the Rye!" That caused her to break out into a huge grin too, and she felt a little embarrassed at his reaction. The waiter came to take their plates, and asked if they would like to order a dessert. They had already briefly discussed this, and Jacob ordered the dark chocolate pave, salted caramel, crème fraîche mousse, because it was the only item on the menu containing chocolate, and Connie opted for the damson and vanilla cheesecake, with almonds, roasted plums, and kirsch ice cream.

After finishing those dishes, they were ready to call it a night, and Jacob draped his jacket over Connie's shoulders as they took a stroll outside. They sat on the wall together, his arm around her shoulders, and they gazed in to the night sky. Jacobs arm dropped down her back, to reach across and hold her waist, and her head fell on his shoulder.

"Thank you so much for tonight," she whispered, looking up at the stars in the pitch black sky.

"It's not over yet," he replied. She sat up and faced him - this was going to be awkward. She assumed he was talking about sex - what else could he mean? - and she just didn't feel as though she'd be able to enjoy it as much on such a full stomach.

"Jacob, I know what we said, but I'm really not in the mood tonight. I'm full from our meal." The last thing she wanted to do was disappoint him after all he'd done for her over the course of the evening, but she wanted their first time together to be just as perfect as that meal had been.

"I didn't mean that, Con," he laughed a little to himself, and tightened his grip around her. "I completely agree with you on that. I'm too full for the sorts of things I want to do to you in the bedroom."

"But you said-" she was confused, but she was cut off by him as he stood up and reached down to take her hand.

"Are you ready to go back in?"

"Back in? We need to get home. I've got work tomorrow." She took his hand and stood, facing him.

"It won't be long," Jacob whispered assuringly. "It's quite a long drive home, so I thought you might need the toilet. I sure as hell do."

"Oh, alright," Connie whispered, just going along with it because she didn't want to be awkward. Once inside, Jacob approached the waiter that had served them previously, and asked for directions to the toilet. Connie watched the conversation, and it seemed as though something passed between the two men that she couldn't quite put her finger on.

"Oh, just out that door, Sir, up the stairs, and it's the last door on the left." Jacob took Connie out of the door, up the stairs (which were longer than most typical stairs) and then they were greeted by a corridor, with no signs to the toilets. Connie was so confused.

"Last door on the left, yeah?" Jacob said, sounding just as confused as Connie, and they walked down the short corridor until they came to the end. There was only one door on the left, and only one on the right too, which showed that the rooms behind the doors were actually quite large. Once they approached the door, it was evident that it was one of the rooms that could be hired out to people wishing to stay over. There was a lock on the door, and Connie turned around.

"We must have gone wrong somewhere, come on, I can manage until we get home." She began to walk back down the corridor, but Jacob didn't follow her, and remained stood outside the door. "Jacob, it's locked. It's obviously not the toilet."

"Come here," he whispered calmly. She walked back to him, almost reluctantly, and he placed his hands on her hips so he could pull her up close to him. She stumbled at his force and fell into his chest a little, but his large arms held her in place. He took her head in his hands, and kissed her for all she was worth. He pushed her up against the door violently, and he felt her smile underneath his mouth, before their tongues crept out and entwined themselves. So, she enjoyed the force, Jacob observed, making a mental note to himself to remember that when they do sleep together. Connie's hands began to roam over his back, and he was unable to concentrate, so he took them and pinned them above her head. He used one hand to secure her hands, and the other to weave into his pocket and unlock the door. She didn't even notice until the door clicked open and they stumbled backwards in to the room. Connie broke away, and expected to find that they'd just completely interrupted another couple, but instead she found herself stood at the front of an absolutely gorgeous room, decorated to perfection.

The walls were covered with a striped pattern, and there was a large 6ft bed in the centre of the room, decorated with pink petals. A small window in the middle of the back wall overlooked the luxurious gardens, and beneath the window was a small seating area, complete with a table with sachets of coffee, tea bags, and two homemade Welsh cakes. There was a television in the bottom left, and a radio in the opposite corner, resting on a small bedside table. The bed had a lamp by the side, which emitted a lovely, warm light that lit up the room perfectly. Another door joined to the room presumably led to the bathroom, and opposite the window was a fairly large oak wardrobe, whose colour complimented the rest of the room perfectly. Since the majority of the furniture was made from wood and like materials, the room had a pleasant, fresh smell to it. The birds could be heard tweeting, but other than that, it was completely silent...