Chapter Thirty Five

I'm so sorry I've been so inactive! I've been in hospital for the last week, so you can imagine how hard it's been to write this! But I still feel awful for just leaving you all, so you've got an extra-long chapter now (mostly because I didn't realise how long it actually was). So updates will still be slow, but I promise that they will pick up towards Christmas, when I start to get better :) hope you like this!

She'd met his sister, and their stories checked out perfectly with each other. Of course they did, she told herself. She knew deep down that he wouldn't lie to her - he wasn't like that. He never had been, and it was just her own bad experiences that had led her to doubt him. She was feeling more loved and cherished than ever before, as Jacob had been making a special effort all day to show her exactly how much he appreciated her. However, when Connie had called him up on it, it was pretty obvious that he hadn't even noticed that he'd been doing anything differently, and that made Connie feel even better, as it showed that he was genuinely just thrilled to have her in his life. It was the little things that had made a difference; she'd been called to see to a child with a sprained ankle, and when she'd returned to her office, there was a coffee and a small muffin waiting for her. Also, Jacob had also stayed on at work for an extra two hours - apparently without realising - but it just so happened that this meant that he left at the same time as Connie.

"Mine or yours?" She asked, a sweet smile resting across her lips.

"Yours? I can't afford to keep you at mine too often, Mrs B."

"What do you mean?" she asked. They were walking out together towards the exit, just as they had done since they'd been together, but something felt different. It was if they were stronger than ever before.

"Well, if you're going to keep smoking my heroin, then I think we're safer at yours." He slapped her arse, causing her to yelp, and she bit her lip to stifle as much as possible.

"Shush," she whispered, gazing at him sternly. "It was a one-off, I can assure you."

"Whatever you say, sweet-cheeks," he whispered, before kissing her cheek and walking away. She asked him where he was going, as she thought that they were supposed to be going home, Home. She liked that. Her and Jacob's home. "There's just something I need to do before I leave. Won't be two secs, see you in the car." She nodded, and walked confidently out of the department, and headed to his car around the back. Once inside, she turned on her mobile. No texts, no missed calls. She'd half expected one from Grace, who was still on her camping trip with Zoe and Max. Connie couldn't wait to have her baby girl back home for good, and she found herself flicking through her photos, starting from the beginning, of the ones she'd taken with Grace. She didn't have that many, and soon reached the end, where she came across the photos that she'd taken with Jacob on their weekend away. She smiled as she looked at how in love she looked on the pictures, and wondered for a moment if it was all just one amazing dream that she didn't want to wake up from. She was still staring at the photo when he climbed into the car and sat beside her, kissing her on the cheek before fastening his seat belt. He saw that she was looking at the photos, and he tucked some of her hair behind her ear before kissing her ear lobe gently.

"I'm so glad we're okay," he whispered, and his words caressed her muscles.

"We'll always be okay." She replied. "Now shut up and drive." Connie turned and pecked him on the lips before settling back into her chair. He looked briefly across at her, then reversed out of the car park and began to drive away from the ED. As they sailed down the quiet country road, he slipped his hand onto her upper thigh, and rubbed her leg in small circles.

"How about we make this more interesting?" He said, taking his eyes off the road for a fraction of a second to see her response. Her eyes were glistening with anticipation, and so he settled his back on the road, though it was very unlikely that there was going to be any oncoming traffic.