Ch. 42 "Tilgi Meg..."

“The hilt is behind the Mona Lisa?!” I fell back on the hotel bed. “Are fricken crazy! Mom do you know how guarded that thing is?! Not just because it has a intense security that stops by to check on it every fifteen minutes, but the cameras, the rail in front of it, and the BULLET PROOF GLASS!”

How in the hell are we supposed to get behind the Mona Lisa?! It’s a historic treasure for Christ’s sake!

“Honey, if you would let me explain and stop freaking out, I will tell you.” In a time of crisis my mom’s voice some how always seemed to calm me.

Eric and Caine were still trying to square each other off but intent on listening. “Ok, so how do Eric and I do this?”

“You’ll both have to wear these matching cuffs,” My mom pulled out two silver looking cuff bracelets. “When you put them on you’ll become invisible to all the cameras and anyone else. You’ll have an incantation to say that will temporarily make the bullet proof substance disappear. Then once you remove the painting, there is a safe being it. You must hurry up and unlock it with the combination. The hilt should be right in. However, once you say the spell to get rid of the glass, you only have five minutes. This spell will only work once.”

“Right. Get in and get out,” I concluded and ran my hands over my face.

“What happens after that?” Eric asked.

Athena turned to him. “You’ll have to say a code word that will teleport you to the safe house.”

I stood up to stretch. “What’s the word?”

“It’s the French word for house. Simple enough. I hope you can handle it. Now I suggest the both of you change,” My mother directly looked at me. I had totally forgot I was still in my slutty clothes.

With the snap of her fingers Eric and I were in completely all black clothes. Black long sleeve shirts, pants, and Nike shoes. They (the shoes) were actually quite cute on me.

“Thanks,” I smiled. “So how are we getting there?”

“I’ll be teleporting you,” My mom answered quick.

With a few more details under the belt, I really needed a drink of water quick. When I got to the bathroom I made sure to not close the door all the way so I could still hear any conversation that might be said. Call it woman’s intuition, but I was right.

“If anything happens to her, now or later, I’m coming after you.” I knew my mother was threatening Eric and I was shocked.

What did she mean by “now or later” exactly? It sounded as if she knew something was going to happen…something bad…

“Ok let’s get this show on the road!” I smiled trying to pump myself up. “Oh one more question though. I’m sick, and I feel like a total human. What the hell is up with that?”

My mother sighed heavily. “I hoped this wouldn’t happen, but since you are not a full demigod yet…Because you’re not immortal like Maximus, you can still die. So when you get sick, your powers can dwindle down to nothing until you get better.”

My mouth was hanging open. I couldn’t even close it for a minute. I think I made some sort of protesting noise but Eric put one of the silver cuffs on my wrist and then we were standing in front of the Mona Lisa.

“Whoa!” I jumped back. “We’re in Paris?” I asked Eric looking around. The museum was dark except for little lights here and there.

“Yes. Let’s do this fast.”

Just like my mom said, I recited the incantation from the little slip of paper in my hand. The bulletproof glass instantly disappeared and it was Eric’s turn to do his thing. He jumped over the rail and removed the Mona Lisa.