Part 38- You promised

Annie

" Hello, Mrs. Ackerman-Leonhardt. Beautiful flowers ". The lady at the front desk said. I had blood red roses -- with help from Ruby -- in a large bouquet.

" Thanks ". I said plainly and she handed me the visitor sticker. I take it and stick it on the lower part of my shirt.

" Good luck ". She said sweetly and I nod. I walk towards the elevators and press the up arrow button.

" I don't need your luck ".

The elevator door opens and I walk inside. I press the third button and the doors start to close except for a girl running in.

" Wait! ". She said and I held the doors open. She runs in and I lower my arm. " Thanks ". She said and I nod.

She had black hair, with light green eyes and smooth pale skin. She was taller than me by a couple inches.

" Beautiful flowers. Those are my favourites ". She said and I don't bother to glance at her. " My wife likes them too ". I said nonchalantly.

" Oh, isn't your last name Leonhardt? ". She said and I nod. " I'm Asami Sato. I heard of you ". She said and I look at her.

" Nice meeting you too. Your a great engineer ". I said and the doors open. " Say hi to your wife for me ". She said with a smile and I walk out.

" You too ". I said and turn the corner. I sigh deeply and walk to the end of the hall. That was cool, I thought and walk into the room 319.

" Hey, Mikasa ". I said even though I know she can't hear. I walk to the left side of her bed and replace the dead roses with the new ones.

" Yesterday was the twin's birthday. They turned thirty-six. Rain is eight months pregnant and I'm thinking that she will have... A boy. We all made a bet of a total of three-hundred dollars ". I said followed by a chuckle.

" Mason is very certain it's a boy. But Ariel thinks it's gonna be a girl ". I said then look at her. Her expression is peaceful and her chest goes up and down as she breaths.

I walk up to her and sit beside her legs. I look at her hand and see the cuts that go down her forearm and bicep. I frown and take her hand into mine.

" I remember when you had Ruby. That was... That was the most greatest day of my life. The twins wouldn't stop fawning over her and that made Ruby cry, which you yelled at them ". I said softly and rub my thumb over the back of her hand.

" Ariel is gonna witness the most beautiful thing in the world. And she wants you to be with rain when it happens and she wants me to accompany her ". I explain and tears blur my vision.

I blink them away and sniffle. I stare at our hands and held back the tears. " Please wake up. She doesn't want to do this alone. I don't wanna do this alone ". I said and felt the tears threaten to escape.

" I need you... Please ". My voice breaks as I say it. " You promised... You promised you wouldn't ". I said and I shut my eyes.

I clutch at her hand and let the tears escape. I let out a choked sob and it felt like she died already. That she's not here anymore...

I felt a soft squeeze in my hand and I sniffle. I slowly open my eyes and look at our hands. I trail up her forearm that was upright and to her face.

My eyes go as wide as plates and my breath hitched. She stares at me, sitting upright. She squeezed my hand again and frowned.

" I-I'm sorry ". She said but it came out as hoarse and raspy. She coughed and I stare at her. She cleared her throat and I whimper.

I pull her into my arms and hug her. She winced and I pull away. I let go of her hands and cup her face.

" Your awake ". I whispered happily and she smiled weakly. " I missed you ". She mouthed and I pull her into a deep kiss.

She kissed back and after a couple seconds I pull away. " Your here... Your actually here with me ". I said pressing my forehead on hers.

" of course ". She said in sign language using her right hand. " I missed you so much ". I said softly and she kept the smile on her face.

" Minnie? ".

I look up from the familiar voice. Ariel and Mason were at the door and I saw rain behind them. " Hey ". Mikasa croaked and they ran to us.

" Your awake! ". They yelled and basically jumped on the bed. I pull away, getting off the bed. I watch as they start crying and Mikasa putting her arms around them.

" Hey Annie ". I look to rain and she walks to me. I smile softly and she stops next to me. " How is it? ". I said and she rubbed her big stomach.

" I should have listened to Minnie ". She said and I laugh. She laughed too and I grin. " At least its almost over. And I am really Glad Minnie is here, awake ". I said then look to her.

The twins were rambling about what happened and Mikasa listens, patiently. She caught my eye and smiled at me.

I smile back and she turned her attention back on them. I sigh at ease and look to rain. She was staring at Ariel and I grin.

" Staring is rude you know? ". I said and she flinched. She looked at me and glared at me " Don't do that! ". She said angrily and I step back.

She went to happy to angry in a few seconds. I know how it goes. I've been with Mikasa during her nine months and she like, almost killed me.

" Sorry ". I said putting my hands up in surrender. She crossed her arms and looked back to the twins. I look toward them and Ariel gave me an apologetic look.

" Its okay ". I said in sign language and she nodded. They kept rambling on and on and Mikasa looked happy and interested.

She's here.

She's here. . . And I am happy.