Chapter 6

After class I quickly give Asher my number before he can say something to make me regret my decision even more than I already do.

    I walk quickly back to my apartment. Even though campus is a couple streets away from my aprtment, I'm still shivering as I enter through the main doors. It's the beginning of November in NY, and snow has already begun to fall leaving the streets and the buildings covered with a thin layer of snow. I hate winter, it's the worst season. I hate being cold all of the time, and having to constantly be in a coat and gloves where ever I go.

    I'm heading up the two flights of stairs to my apartment, when my phone starts buzzing in my coat pocket. Mom flashes across the screen of my phone.

"Hello?"

I hear some scuffling in the background and muted voices. "Jasmine?" my youngest brother, Matt, says through the phone.

I hold my phone between my shoulder and my ear as I unlock my door and push it open with my elbow. "Hey Matt. Why are you calling from Mom's phone?" I ask.

I hear him sigh, "I broke mine. And mom refuses to buy me a knew one, she said I have to buy it this time, and I have no money." I laugh. I swear he goes through phones as fast as he goes though toilet paper.

Sounding annoyed he says, "Anyway, mom wanted me to call you and ask when your coming home for Thanksgiving."

Shit. I totally forgot to check to see when I have to work, and I need to call in to see if I can get a day off or two. The book store will be closed on Thanksgiving and the day after for sure, but I don't know about Wednesday.

    "Uh.. I don't know yet. I'll have to call in to see when I have to work, but tell mom I plan on coming home Wednesday if I don't have to work."

    I hear more scuffling before Matt says, "Okay, I'll tell-"

He's cut off by someone saying, "Who are you talking to?" It's my sister, Emma.

"Jasmine," I hear him tell her.

"It is? Let me talk to her!" I hear my sister squeal.

"Here," Matt says.

"Jasmine! When are you coming back to see us?" She's saying 'us' as in her and our four other siblings. Six in all. Growing up with five other siblings was a nightmare when I still lived at the house. Constant fighting, tattletailing, and people always being around me; never any alone time. We grew up in a two story house and in a what my mom calls a 'nice' neighbourhood. My parents are not rich by any means, but they aren't poor either. They would probably have a lot more money if they didn't have six kids to feed, clothe, and send off to college.

"Hi, Emma! What have I missed? And I think I'll be coming on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving." I pass by my small kitchen, which I'm fine with because I suck at cooking, and toss my purse on the kitchen table.

I'm sitting down on my couch and facing a blank T.V., when Emma says "Hi! And you didn't miss much, but Matt broke his phone again," she gushes and I smile. "What has been going on at college? Do you have a boyfriend?" she asks excitedly.

I sigh inwardly. No, I don't have a boyfriend, and I'm not looking for one either. With all my past relationships ending badly, I kind of stopped trying. My first relationship was just average dorky high school stuff. It was sophomore year and I met this pimply, gawky kid in my math class. I thought he was nice, so when he asked me out I said yes. We lasted a couple months, which in high school you where considered practically married. To this day I can't even remember why we broke up, but it was probably because I almost burnt down his parents kitchen when I tried to make his family spaghetti. Whoops.

    I had my first serious boyfriend senior year. He was smart, cute, funny; he was the perfect guy, but after dating almost all of Senior year we broke it off when he got accepted to MSU. We decided it was better to end it now than to wait until after summer vacation. I don't think I loved him, but I still cried when we broke up.

    I didn't date for a while, and then freshman year of college, I met Tobias, the first and only person I have loved and the first person I have had sex with. I knew right when I met him he was trouble, but he put up a good front and my friends and family seemed to think he was a good guy, so I ignored the days when he came home smelling like alcohol, and somehow I fell in love with him. It took me two years and catching him having sex with some girl from a party for me to finally open my eyes and see he was a manipulative, cheating bastard. That's the main reason I moved out of South Dakota and to NY. I needed to get away from him. I didn't tell my parents why we broke up, I just said things weren't working out. I could tell they wanted to know why, but they didn't push me, and I'm glad for that.

    I try and lighten my tone when I say, "No, I don't have a boyfriend, but college has been fun so far. How do you like the fourth grade?"

    She sounds bored when she answer, "I hate it. We get so much homework this year!" she complains.

    I laugh. Wait until you get to high school or college I think. "That's to bad-"

    "I know, it's horrible, " she says interrupting me.

    I hear some voices in the background before Emma groans. "I got to go. I have to go t0 bed."

    I look at my phone, it's almost 9:00 P.M. and I have school tomorrow and work after. Where has the time gone? Nice thing about this year though is I only have classes Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. The rest of the week I only have homework and work.

    "Goodbye, Emma, I love you and I can't wait to see you in a couple of weeks."

    "Bye, Jasmine. I love you too and can't wait to see you either," she says.

    "Bye," I say one last time before I hang up the phone.

I change into an old t-shirt and shorts before I wash my face and hop into my bed. I must have been more tired than I thought because I'm out as soon as my head hits the pillow.
----------

AUTHOR'S NOTE: What did you guys think of chapter 6? It was more of a filler chapter, so you could know about her past and stuff and meet some of her siblings. Please vote and I'll update by Wednesday. Thankyou!!