Chapter 14

Work is unusually slow today, probably from all the snow, so by the time 3:00 rolls around it feels like the longest day ever. I tell the manager that I'm off before calling a cab because there is no way I am/can walk home in this weather.

    I'm watching the streets from the inside the store for my cab, when a sleek white car pulls up in front of the bookstore. It just sits there, engine running, no one getting in or out. Weird.

    My purse starts vibrating and I'm surprised when I see it's a text from Jace.

Jace: Get in.

Get in?

Me: What?

Jace: Get in the white car parked outside. My driver will take you home.

    Jace has a driver? He has some serious explaining to do tonight. He may think of this as a "date", but I think of it as a time to get as much information out of him as possible.

Looking for some sign of my cab, and not seeing any, I have little choice but to do as he says and get in.

I walk the short distance from the store's front door to the street in front of it, and as I get within a few feet away a tall, muscular man gets out of the drivers side to open the rear end door for me.

"Uh, thank you," I tell him, not knowing what to say.

He nods his head in a 'your welcome' and I get into the car before he shuts the door behind me. Once in, I notice the new car smell and how spacious it is in the back. It's ridculous.  The seats are a dark non-leather material and I practically sink into it, that's how comfortable it is.

I hear the door open, and the driver gets back in. He makes eye contact with me in the rear-view mirror. "What type of music would you like to listen too?" he asks in deep, slightly accented voice. British maybe?

"Anything besides rap; I hate rap," I tell him.

He gives me a knowing smile, and I can't help but notice how attractive he is. Short brown hair, green eyes, and a great smile; he can't be more than 30 years old. I break eye contact with him in the mirror, and he turns on the radio to a song I don't know, but I like it; It's fast and upbeat without being too pop.

I feel my purse vibrate again and I pull out my phone to see another text from Jace.

Jace: Are you in?

I roll my eyes.

Me: Yes.

Jace: Good. I'll pick you up at 7 tonight, don't be late.

I roll my eyes again, this time at his bossiness.

Me: Yes, sir.

Jace doesn't respond to that, and we arrive at my apartment a few minutes late. The driver once again hops out and open my door for me.

"Thank you...?"

"My name is Alexander, but you can call me Alec."

"Thank you, Alec."

He smiles and nods his head. "No problem, it's what I get paid to do."

"So your Jace's driver then?"

"Yes."

"How long have a you been working for him?" I ask.