Chapter 36

Jace and I are lounging on my bed, me on my stomach and Jace on his back. His hand is under my Twenty One Pilot's t-shirt and it is running up and down my spine; I shiver from his delitcate touch.

Bzz. I prop myself up on my elbow and grab my phone from off my night stand. A message flashes across my screen:

Mom: what day are u coming home?

"Shit," I cuss. Is Thanksgiving really this Thursday? What have I been doing? I haven't checked my schedule to see if I get Wednesday off, I haven't packed any of my stuff, and I haven't even bought a plane ticket yet. Glancing to my right, I see the reason why I have nothing done. I run an exasperated hand through my hair.

"What is it?" Jace asks, removing his hand from back and flipping on his stomach. I click my phone off as his hand comes to rest on the back of my thigh over my skinny jeans.

"Nothing," I say, and his hand drops from my thigh as he turns on his back.

"Jasmine," he groans loudly.

I drop my phone on my bed and turn on my side to face him; he's looking up at the ceiling, his face expressionless.

What did I say?

Throwing a thigh over his waist, I snuggle into his side. "What?" I ask.

"Nothing," he mocks.

"Oh c'mom: talk to me," I say, urging him with my eyes to look at me, but all he does is push my leg off him; I put it back on top of him.

"Hey, don't be mean," I tell him.

He pushes my leg off of him again. "I'm not being mean," he replies.

"Whatever," I say, moving away from him before he can push me away again, but his hand grabs the back of my knee and pulls my thigh on top of him again.

He looks down at me and I'm met with a sour and hurt expression. "I'm sorry.. It's just that when you agreed to more, I thought you would start telling me stuff; I want you to talk to me," he says.

Oh..

"Well what do you want me to talk to you about?" I ask.

"You could start by telling me what that text said?" he says.

"I can do that."

"Good, now talk."

I roll my eyes at his bossyness, and I start by telling him the text was from my Mom and she wanted to know what day I was coming home, but I'm interrupted by an angry Jace. "You're going back home? Why am I just finding out about this?" he asks demandingly.

This time I'm the onr to pull my leg off of him, and we both sit up. "What did you expect? Thanksgiving is this weekend and it's your fault that I didn't tell you," I add.

"My fault? How is it my fault you didn't tell me?" he asks, running an exasperated hand through his hair.

"Because.. because you distract me too much," I snap, but what I really wanted to say was: you consume me too much. My every action, my every thought, my every word somehow has something to do with you, and I hate it.

He looks at me confused for a moment, but his cofusion soon turns into amusement. "Am I really that good in bed?" he asks, and I want to cry.

"You're an ass," I smile and hit him playfully on the chest.

Smiling, he rolls on top of me. He cages my body in between his legs and he studies my face with a thoughtfull expression. "You distract me too, you know," he says, interlacing our fingers. "And you know what?" he asks.