Chapter 70

Jace: I have a few meetings tonight. Don't wait up.

I frown as I read his most recent text; he's been saying this for the past three nights. He must be really swamped with work. I'll ask him about it tomorrow morning... if I see him. These past two days have been... weird?

I don't really know how else to describe it, but we haven't had sex in almost three days.

Three agonizing days.

Three days isn't really a lot for most people, but three days without sex or even an orgasm is like months without even kissing for other couples.

It's not like we are fighting or anything, we haven't seen each other enough to fight. We've just been busy. I've been gone in the morning and evenings because of either work or class, and by the time I get home, Jace has left for work; I feel like he's avoiding me, but he has no reason to.

Rubbing my tired eyes, I decide to sleep on the couch tonight, in hopes that I'll wake up when he gets home.

I fluff my pillow and move around restlessly several times, but I can't get comfortable.

Knowing I'm not going to be able to fall asleep any time soon, I throw the blankets off of me and grab my phone before heading into the kitchen. I make myself some macaroni and cheese, one of the few meals I have learned how to make since moving in with Jace, and take a seat on the barstool.

I'm not very hungry, but I eat it anyway. It's not that good, and I can only manage to take a few bites before I throw the rest away. I put the few dirty dishes that are out in the dishwasher.

I sit back down on the couch and scroll through social media; I don't think I've been on Instagram or Facebook for at least two months.

I get sucked into it, and before I know it, it's almost one in the morning; where is he?

Just when I'm about to pick up the blankets and pillows and head upstairs, I hear the elevators ding, signaling someone is here.

I turn my head and see Jace walk in a heavy black coat and leather gloves. He's on the phone and his jaw is set into an angry tick.

"...what do you mean, you don't where he is?"

"Find him," Jace snaps. "Make sure he fucking listened."

Who is he talking about?

Making myself known, I get up from the couch, and Jace's eyes snap over to me in mild suprise.

"I've got to go," he says and hangs up. "What are you doing up?" he asks me, but he seems to be more concerned with getting his coat off.

"I couldn't sleep."

He hangs up his coat on the coat rack. When he doesn't make any indication that he is going to come over to me or even talk to me, I decide to make the first move.

Walking over to him, I cup his face and roughly press my lips against his, but no matter how hard I kiss him, his lips stay soft and hesitant.

He pulls back abruptly. "You should get to bed, it's almost one in the morning."

"I don't want to go to bed," I tell him, pulling him closer, "I want you."

"Jace," I plead against his lips when he continues to remain stiff. "Touch me." I tug on his hair and that seems to be his undoing.

His lips are demanding and his hands are determined as he tries to get my clothes off.

The fire that I have been missing is finally back.