Chapter 42

It takes me a few minutes to get myself together and wipe the mascara from under my eyes before I go after Jace. What if Tobias didn't leave? What if they're fighting right now? What if Jace is hurt? These thoughts race through my head as I search the upstairs for Jace or Tobias and come up dry.

Where is he? Is he trying to find Tobias? Did he leave? No. He couldn't have left; he doesn't have a car, but then where is he? I ask around to see if anyone has seen him trying not to sound panicked, but they all say they haven't seen him. It isn't until I'm about to give up that Matt tells me she saw him go outside to the backyard; I could kiss him.

I hurry out to the backyard, my heart beating out of my chest, when I see Jace sitting on the back deck. I sigh in relief and walk over to him. My heart sinks when I see he's drinking and his... his knuckle is bloody. "What happened?" I ask, panicked and bend down to grab his hand. "Where's Tobias? You hit him didn't you?"

He yanks his hand out of my grasp and stands up. "No I didn't, Jasmine," he says, practically spitting my name.

"Then why is your hand all bloody-?"

"I punched the wood," he says looking at the deck. "I didn't touch your precious fucking boyfriend."

Ouch.

"He's not my boyfriend-"

"You're sure acting like he is," he says, tipping back the rest of his drink before throwing the red cup into the yard.

"How am I acting like he's my boyfriend? Because I won't let you bash his teeth in?"

"Because you are protecting him," he says throwing his hands in the air.

"I'm not protecting him and would you stop making this about yourself?" I yell, stepping towards him.

"I would stop making this about myself if you would stop making this about him," he yells just as loud.

"Fuck you-"

"No, fuck him. Why don't you go back to fucking him Jasmine?" he asks, getting in my face. How could he say that to me?

"You're an asshole," I tell him and start walking back to my house needing to get away from him before I say something I will regret.

"I didn't mean that-" he says grabbing my unhurt wrist before I get far.

Spinning around, I want to slap him, but I can't bring myself to. "Don't touch me," I tell him, pulling my wrist out of his hand.

"Then don't run from me," he says back, and grabs my hand again to insure I can't go anywhere.

"Don't tell me what to do," I say pushing against him, but he won't let me go.

"No, you are mine and if I-"

"I am not yours, Jace," I say, and I feel the sickest satisfaction when his face falls. "Don't you see? I was never yours," I spit, wanting to hurt him as much as he hurt me by telling me to go back to Tobias; he lets go of my arm and stumbles back from me, pain flashing in those blue eyes. Fuck, why did I say that?

"Jace, I'm sorry-" I say reaching for him.

He backs away. "It's fine, Jasmine. I get it now."

"I-I didn't mean-" I stutter.

"You don't want me," he says, his voice certain. I feel sick.

"What? No, Jace. I need you-" I tell him, and grab his arm, but he pushes me away.