Surprise

Chapter 5

Surprise.

'Adrian!' Startled I shoot up in bed. Blinking a few times I look around me to find my mother looking down at me with her brows drawn together and her hands in her hips. 'Get out of bed, right now!' I quickly swallow the complaint I was about to give my mom for waking me on a Sunday. Even though I have no clue what I've done wrong I do what my mom tells me without question.

As I'm dressing myself I hear my mom say something unintelligible to June-May. Once fully dressed I drag myself towards the hallway, feeling like I'm about to get the beating of my life. The look mom has as she watches me step out of my bedroom only enhances the feeling. I take a quick glance to June-May and notice she too just got out of bed. She still has her oversized T-shirt on and is still rubbing the sleep out of her eyes.

Alternating her gaze from me to June-May and back mom taps her foot on the ground as if expecting us to start talking without telling us why she's this angry. 'So who is going to tell me why the door of the bathroom has a hole in it?' While mom asks us this with raised voice her eyes snap to me. I feel sweat forming on my forehead and the palms of my hands.

From the looks of mom I'm quite sure she isn't going to spare us should we start lying now. Biting my lip I look around the hallway as if that will give me an answer to what I should be telling mom right now. At the same time I want to kick myself for completely forgetting about the door. Had I remembered yesterday evening, I probably would have told her about in the note we left her, that would at least have lessened her anger.

For a split moment I contemplate telling mom what really happened. Should she hear that story I'm sure mom wouldn't even remember the broken door. But at the same time I'm sure June-May wouldn't be allowed to hang with any guy, period. Plus mom would totally freak out from what happened, better not risk her getting a heart attack.

With a look towards June-May I notice her big eyes and her biting her lower lip. She even seems to be trembling, the thoughts I'm getting from June-May also has me doubting if her brain is working correctly right now.

For a second I close my eyes, take a deep breath and let it out slowly again. 'I'm really sorry mom, I got so angry yesterday... I didn't mean to break it, it just happened. I would have told you about it, but I completely forgot about it.' Hoping to look guilty I lower my eyes from mom's gaze and try to make myself smaller.

The moment June-May hears me tell mom the half truth her mind seems to get a kickstart. With a quick glance towards June-May I see her put her hand on her chest and make a silent sigh. At the same time I feel genuine guilt come from June-May. Thankfully it's not a secret at our home that I have anger issues.

With her hands on her hips mom looks down on me, brows drawn, lips pressed together in a straight line. 'So now you think you can just break stuff when you're angry, is that it? How would you like it if I broke your TV because I'm angry?' Fighting to snap back at mom I dig my nails in my palms. While unable to look my mom in the eyes my mind starts telling me how useless I am that I'm unable to control my anger. How I should have been able to keep myself from exploding like I did yesterday.

Tears start to form in the corners of my eyes while my body starts to shake. 'I'm sorry, I didn't mean to break it. I got so angry that I lost my control. That made me kick and hit the door to relieve some anger, I didn't mean to break it. It was never my intention to break anything.' Slowly tears start to run down my cheeks. A lump in my throat makes me unable to speak. My mind however keeps telling me how I've failed, how I should have done a better job.