Empty

Chapter 9

Empty.

I feel myself drift back to my body and slowly entering it again. With a heavy breath I force my eyes open. Winning the fight of opening my eyes only gets greeted by the realization that it's not just my eyelids that are heavy. My entire body feels like lead and hurts in a way I have never felt before. A pain that is much more intense and binding than any physical pain could do. Even thinking about moving causes a pain that makes me want to scream. With only my eyes moving as that is the only thing that doesn't hurt I try to figure out where I am.

The beeping sound of a monitor next to me finally makes me realize I'm in a hospital bed. I slowly turn my head so the pain stays minimal to confirm it really is medical equipment that I hear beeping. Along with the monitor I see a glass of water standing on a table next to my bed. My mouth and throat almost instantly feel like a desert, at the same time I can not make my body move to sit up and have a drink of that water.

The sound of a door opening makes me turn my head slowly again to see who's entering the room. The bright light that enters the room from the hallway makes me squeeze my eyes shut from the sharp pain it causes in my eyes.

'Adrian?' Opening my eyes again I now see June-May standing at the edge of the bed with tears stinging in her eyes.

'Yeah...' I croak, pain shooting through my body from moving my mouth. June-May rushes towards the side of the bed to pull me into a hug. June-May's hug causes a pain so intense that I automatically scream out in pain.

'I'm sorry! Where did I hurt you?' June-May immediately places me back on the bed and inspects me for wounds. 'I'm so happy you're a wake though.' With a cough I smile a little and force my hand to move to try and grab June-May's hand. The pain that my movement causes again almost makes me scream, but because I'm the one moving this time I can keep the scream in check.

Clearing my throat I force the air out my throat into words. 'Of course I am, why wouldn't I be a wake.' With a sniff June-May whips away a tear and takes a seat on the seat next to my bed.

'Because you've been out cold for a whole week. Or at least your body was, your brain seemed to be in overdrive all the time. More than once I wasn't sure if you were a wake or not with the thoughts that entered my brain. And secondly because you're in a freaking hospital!' June-May motions with her free hand to look around the room we're in.

A week? It doesn't feel like a week. 'A week? What happened?' I'm able to ask as the pain seems to slowly lessen in intensity with each passing second. At the same time my emotions seem to leave my mind and body as well.

'You're asking me?!' June-May almost shrieks. 'All I know is that you were talking with Samantha,' the sound of that name makes me flinch a little from a moment of intense pain, 

'then the next thing I know is a whole lot of thoughts that make no sense which make me go look for you. The moment I find you all I see is you lying on the ground with blood coming from your ears not responding to anything and a Samantha that's of no fucking use on telling me what happened! Now I ask you again what the fuck happened?! Samantha won't even tell me what you guys were talking about because any thought you had was so fucking confusing that I have no clue what you were talking about.' Frowning I try to recall what happened, nothing comes to mind. I feel June-May probe my mind with me in search of answers. The answers however seem to be veiled behind a thick fog, the only thing I do seem to remember is that Samantha and I can't see each other anymore.

'Good god you're just as fucking useless as Samantha! I should flock that bitch for what ever she caused here.' Hearing June-May talk about flogging Samantha another memory returns, one where I expected Samantha to be hit by her father. That memory makes me grab at my head as my mind gets flooded by memories that get triggered by other memories. Tears start to fall down my cheeks again as the door that locked my emotions away gets torn open.