"Why did it hit him so bad?"

As everyone sits at breakfast a new hire asks.
"Kat can you tell me why the loss of Shimmer hit him so bad?"

Kat replies with a small amount of sadness.
"Every dragon rider has a connection to every dragon they are friends with, this connection is powerful like the connection between you and your parents, but this connection is so strong the rider feels the pain, knows the fears, and the joys of each dragon. They are one but they are not. Understand? I know it sounds complicated and it is not easy to explain. You have to see it to truly understand it."

Kat looks at him.
"Come with me I need to check on him any way."

As they arrive at Sadie's private enclosure they see Donald and Sadie staring into each others eyes. Tim is completely amazed by what he is seeing.

Tim opens his mouth to speak and Kat says.
"Quiet, silence is..."

Before she can finish Ranger pops his head up and quietly growls.

Tim hears Donald.
"Yes Sadie I understand that you felt like I was your child."

Donald kisses Sadie on her snout. "But don't forget that we mated and we have a bonding as dragon and rider."

Tim's mouth falls open in total surprise. Donald smiles and says.
"If it makes you feel better Sadie I have no problem with you thinking of me as a adopted child that is also your rider."

Donald sits as if he is listening Tim is completely amazed.

Sadie asks Donald with a questioning gaze.
"Take me out on a flight. Just you and me."

Donald smiles and rubs her snout.
"Later Sadie we have company but yes I will."

Donald gets up and says.
"Hello Kat, Ranger told me that you were here."

Kat looks at Tim.
"Do you have a little more understanding now?"

Not knowing what to say Tim just nods his head.

Donald turns to Kat.
"I will be sleeping in the ranch house tonight, I am closer to Sadie and Ranger now than I was before."

Donald looks at Tim and smiles. "Do not try to understand our connection it is beyond any way to truly explain. But I will tell you this it is a level of trust that can't be achieved between people."

Kat hugs her brother.
"I was getting worried about you."

Donald puts his finger on her lips "Don't speak look into my eyes don't think about it just look."

Kat looks into his eyes and gasping she says.
"I now understand brother. I understand what you have been trying to tell me."

Kat shows signs of a change within her.

Donald puts his hand on her head and says.
"Calm yourself and let what you have just learned fill your mind."

And with that Donald walks away leaving Kat in a state of confusion and wonder.

Donald calls back to Kat.
"It was time for you to learn a secret about me but I can't reveal anymore until you are ready. There are secrets about dragon riders that are not allowed to be shared with non riders. But you my sister have a secret, I will reveal it when the time is right."