Chapter 17

He drove in silence.

I stare out the window and see passing trees and houses fly by.

I look towards Aiden and see him deep in thought with one hand on the wheel.

I glance back towards the window and feel my hand erupt in pain again.

*flash back*

My body falls to the ground scraping my knee.

I cry out in pain. Tears falling down my cheeks.

"Hey hey Elizabeth honey it's all right. Daddys here it's ok. Come on sweet heart." He wipes my tears away and picks me up off the ground.

"It hurts"

He takes me inside and grabs a wet cloth and wipes away the dirt.

I wiggle around not liking the feeling.

"Want me to tell you a story"

I look up at him and smile. He takes it as a good sign and continues.

"Once upon a time, there was a princess. She was still small and didn't know much about the world yet. She lived in a castle that was very beautiful. She loved that castle it was her home and it had all her family and toys there. But one day she was playing outside in the garden and she pricked her finger on a rose. And she was hurt"

I gasp "just like me daddy."

He smiles "yes just like you. And she started crying. She was very upset and she was in pain because she had a cut now on her finger"

I nodded begging him to continue.

"Her father came out of the castle and took her inside. He helped her and cleaned up her cut. But she was angry. She was mad at the world. Saying that it hurt her and she was never going outside again. But the father soon explained something to her. He said.

'Sweet heart, you're going to get hurt many times in this world. By many things. But you have to know that in the end it's only going to help you get stronger. And that you can only learn and grow from your mistakes.'

The little princess didn't understand at the time. But when she got older she realized that she got hurt many times. By many things but.. It helped her grow. And it helped her become wise. Now she knew how to carefully hold a rose and how to choose decisions more carefully.

Do you understand?"

"Yes daddy she was smarter because she knew what to expect."

He smiled. "Exactly."

My dad got up to go get a band aid.

"But what if I don't know what to choose?.."

He came back and sat next to me.

"What do you mean sweetheart?"

" what if I don't know what to do. What if I need help?"

He smiled. "Then you can always come to me and I will always be there to help you."

"Always?" I questioned.

"Always" he confirmed.

*end of flash back*

I looked up at Aiden once more.

When my father passed away it left a whole in my heart. I loved him with everything that I had. But he passed away and all I was left with was pain. I remember that day after his funeral I promised myself to never love someone that much again. For it would only cause me pain. So what if I love Aiden? And I only break apart again. What if I get hurt?