Prologue (Edited)

A storm raged outside the car as it hurled itself along a midnight country road. Rain lashed against the window occasionally punctured by flashes of light and the deep growl of far off thunder. Although seated against the thin window which separated me from the thrashing world around me my attention was focused solely on the dim glow of the digital screen in front of me, even as the growl of thunder drew closer.

The car shook as we passed over the many potholes that covered the neglected street. My keyboard was a blur as I frantically tried to allow my fingers to keep up with my mind. The world I was creating from nothing but letters seemed to almost burst forth drowning my sense in those of this new world, almost as if I let my concentration slip but for a second it would pull my in through the screen of the laptop.

The old wooden carriage churned along the dirt path each bump threatening to have the carriage fall apart at the seams. The words came to me like a tide as I slowly filled the white page with small black digital letters. The driver, who must have been as old as the carriage itself guided the two horses along the path towards their goal.

I let out a yawn which ended in a long sigh, looking out the window I finally took notice of the tormented weather outside and allowed inspiration to take hold as I returned to my work. They hadn't proceeded far when almost seemingly out of nowhere a storm descended on the defenceless carriage and the surroundings, the wind, rain and lightning combined to threaten all life as even the trees, solitary guardians of the path which they traveled along, had no choice but to bend and sway menacingly.

The old man huddled up in his grey cloak, the horse reigns gripped so tightly in his now soaked and shaking hands that skin wrinkled skin had started to turn white.

Another yawn escaped my lips before I could suppress it, turning once again to look at the storm outside which has drastically increased in force. A lighting bolt struck the ground directly where I was staring followed shortly by a loud crack that continued ring within my ears. The front seat was suddenly filled with a multitude of curses from the taxi driver as he mumbled something about weather reporters and from which end of their bodies they talked from. Edging away from the window a little I returned to my hand crafted world as new ideas surged forth.

As the deafening cacophony of sounds and elements battered the withered carriage it's occupants, Derrick, became ever more concerned. The storm felt fake in a way, artificial, as if hand crafted to waylay them, or perhaps see that he never made his destination full stop. Derrick could list an entire army's worth of people however who would pay top coin to have hais head mounted to their wall, his particular line of work didn't exactly make him any friends. He began to draw in mana, weaving the mystical energy together, creating a spell to help find the source of the storm.

My concentration slipped as my eyes began to droop, rubbing the irritation from them I reviewed my work so far, this storm certainly did not feel natural, especially since they were in mid summer, it hadn't even so much as rained for days now he was in the middle of a storm? Perhaps he was just over thinking it, he was no meteorologist or whatever those weather prediction people were called. I decided to make one last push at my work before trying to catch some sleep before I got home.

There was indeed weaved mana in the air or "magic" but only faint, certainly not enough to cause a storm this big, probably belonged to a poor soul caught in the storm trying to warm themselves

Derrick let out a sigh, maybe he was just being paranoid, he was about to dispel his own magic when a surge of a powerful aura filled his senses as quickly as his mind would allow he pulled up a protective barrier around himself as a bolt of lightning hit the carriage causing it to explode.

"That should be a nice place to leave it" Mumbling to myself I closed the lid of my laptop, at that moment something urged me to look up and as I did so, through the sunroof I saw a blinding white light,a second if unimaginable pain, then, darkness.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for starting to read this book! It was my first ever story on wattpad and I hope you enjoyed the first chapter. See Ya!

Pennator ^^