Chapter 36: The King Rises

Reflamen rolled out of the way of another fireball. He then opened his mouth and blasted the dragon with one of his own. I watched silently as the dragon fell to the battle below. We had been fighting for almost two days now. I was completely exhausted and Reflamen was bearly able to stay in the sky.

I had no idea what had happened to Derrick and Rogan, it had been so long since I had last seen them, and the king still hadn't shown himself either. The Resistance had pushed the kings army back right to the forth wall, it had taken a very long time but they finally did it. 

Reflamen was struggling to keep himself in the air. His toung was hanging out of his mouth. He had numerous scratches all over his body, and three arrows sticking out of his wings. I wasn't doing much better. I had a burn mark on my left arm, from when  dragon tried to take out Reflamen with a fireball but missed and it skimmed me instead. I had a large wound on my right shoulder from when an arrow hit me, and I didn't have my flame blades out, and a scratch on my right leg where a dragon had nicked me with its claw. 

'Reflamen,' I said, 'Let's land. We're both exhausted and I think we deserve a rest.'

'Okay,' said Reflamen, at least he could speek clearly with his mind, 'Where do I land?'

I sent him an image of a flat roof with no one on it, away from the main battle. Reflamen started to wing his way towards it. As we flew under an enemy dragon I struck at it with my right fire sword, cutting a huge gash in its stomach. The dragon roared in pain and started to try and get away from us, as well as the dragon it was already fighting. The dragon it was fighting took the chance and advanced, with a huge ball of fire, burning the unexpecting rider to a crisp. The rider on the dragon took out his bow and shot the dragon right between the eyes, the dragon fell down to earth.

"Thank's," the rider said.

"Don't... mention... it," I replied exhausted.

"You okay?" said the rider.

"Yeah," I said, "Just need a break."

The rider nodded. 

Reflamen swooped down to the building and landed on top of it in a collapsed heep. I was thrown against his neck, exhausted. I slipped off Reflamen's back and onto the roof. I sat against Reflamen's side. 

Now that I was resting the wounds I had really started to hurt. I cast a water spell on them, cleaning them, but I was so exhausted it almost waisted the rest of my energy. 

'Don't cast anymore spells.' said Reflamen, 'You won't be able to take the loss of energy.'

I nodded in agreement.

We sat there for a few minutes in silence, watching the battle as it went on. A few more dragons came to rest on roofs, probably to exhausted to continue. I side. Since there was nothing to do I started to daydream.

I saw Derrick and Rogan, along with the rest of the men, in the middle of a large dirt arena. They were all back to back, fighting a large mass of soldiers trying to get them. Derrick was using his shadow blade. Rogan was cutting down soldiers left and right, trying to keep himself from getting overwelmed.

I aslo saw Shadowrang, trying to get into the building, breathing shadow at the roof, trying to bring it down. Sophire was also with him, as well as the rest of the dragons. They were all attacking the roof, and trying not to be hit by any of the crossbow bolts being flung at them.

'They need our help,' said Reflamen, taking me out of my daydream. 

'Who do?' I said, then realised what I had been imagining, 'Oh them, but how, we can hardly move.'