Chapter 40: An Unwelcome Surprise

It had been three days since the king had been killed. Reflamen had woken up with a broken wing, two fractured ribs, and a dislocated leg. They had to tie him up to other dragons, who lifted him up and flew him to a dragon healer. Sophire had survived, how I don't know, but she did, and Rogan was elected king. 

Builders were at work rebuilding the castle, so far they had only done the bottom. The city was also getting rebuilt, slowly and steadily. 

I was going to school today, even though I was destined to faint again that day, I thought that with the amount of school I had missed, I had to catch up as much as I could. Many of my friends asked me where I had been.

"Busy," I replied to all of them.

My first class that day was math, which was in the upper part of the school gym. I grabbed my books and walked there with Rolland, chatting about miscellaneous things. We walked towards the classroom and started to climb the stairs. I heard thunder outside, and it was still very windy. 

The king may have been defeated but weird things were still happening in this world. I had strenghtened that forcefield, but stranger things had been happening. At one point I swear I saw a man, flying above the clouds, looking straight at me.

Rolland and I sat in class and got our books out. The teacher walked out in front of the class.

"Okay class," he said, "Today we are going to be learning about Linear equations."

I groaned silently, this was probably my weekest point in maths.

'Ha!' said Reflamen, he was at that moment in a be, letting medics and magicains look after him, he was being treated like a king.

I sighed, 'Just shut up, at least I can still move.'

Reflamen snorted, 'At least I don't have to do maths.'

"Derrick!" said the teacher, "Stop daydreaming!"

"Sorry," I said, going back to my work. 

I wrote down the answer to the next question. I sighed and looked at the sky, I couldn't wait to go back to the magic world, as I had now begun calling it. 

"Derrick!" said the teacher.

I instantly went back to my work.

"Hey dude," said Rolland, "Are you alright?"

"Yeah," I said, smiling at Rolland, "Just wishing I was somewhere else."

Rolland smiled back, "I know what you mean."

We continued our work, I was now starting to feel the familiar dizziness come to me. I shook my head, trying to get rid of it. It seemed that when I was in a fight, I wouldn't notice it until the last few seconds, but now that I was bored, I felt it a lot sooner.

About an hour past, and the lesson was almost over. I was finishing the last few questions of my work, when I suddenly felt a very strange prescence, and it didn't feel friendly. I narrowed my eyes and sent out my mind, looking for the source. When I did find it, I froze.

"Oh great," I said.

"What?" said Rolland.

I then felt a sudden increase in magic, coming from somewhere near. 

"Get down!" I yelled, jumping towards Rolland.

Suddenly the floor exploded, and the whole class fell through. Dust went up everywhere. 

I got up from where I had landed and looked around. No one looked hurt to badly, but they were probably in shock. I heard one of the girls start to cry. The teacher was struggling to get up from under his bench.