Chapter 25: The Power of Shadow

Rogan had managed to muster a force of thirty riders, even though the Resistance had over one hundred riders, it was a good idea to have a large backup force. Reflamen and I decided to join in, it would be the first time we had fought together and we needed the experience.

Derrick was beside us, on Shadowrang.

"You know, Rogan," said Derrick, "You don't need to send all these extra riders."

Rogan raised his eyebrow. Derrick just shook his head and looked back at the dragons that were fast approaching. Shadowrang was prancing nervously from one foot to the other. I could feel the nervousness and excitment coming from Reflamen, and from myself.

"Ready!" yelled Reflamen, "Fly!"

Reflamen jumped of the edge of the cliff, with his wings open. He took one flap, then another, then we were flying.

'Blade or staff?' I asked Reflamen.

'Start with staff, it might be easier to use on my back,' replied Reflamen.

I summoned my blades to my hands, then connected the hilts, turning them into one flaming staff. I gripped the staff with both hands, and cast a spell to keep me on my dragon.

'That spell might ware you out during the fight,' said Reflamen.

'Well I can't keep my hands on your horns and I might fall,' I replied.

'Well, don't put to much energy into it,' said Reflamen.

Shadowrang was flying right beside us. He was tiny compared to Reflamen but that didn't make him any less terrifiying. He probably stood out in all the other dragons, for he was the only black dragon there. Derrick was on his back, with his shadow blade out. Already the blade was letting off drifts of shadow.

It took almost a minute until we met up with enemy. All the dragons stopped where they were. Rogan wasn't with us so Leo had taken command. He was on his gigantic yellow dragon, Galactor.

"What are you doing here?" he yelled out, "You know you can't win with only twenty riders, so why are you here?"

One of the dragons came forth. It was Leren.

'Oh great, everything is falling apart,' I said.

"We saw a shadow dragon coming this way," said Leren, "We thought it was going to destroy your camp, obviously not."

He over my way, at Derrick. Shadowrang growled.

"Why don't you come with us, Shadow rider," said Leren, "You know you don't belong here."

Derrick laughed, "As soon as you saw me you instantly thought I was one of you guys, ha! I wouldn't join you for all the money in the world."

Leren looked surprised, very surprised, "Derrick?"

Shadowrang flew forward, "Yes Leren, it's me."

Leren smiled, "So you finally got a dragon Derrick, and a very powerful one as well. Now that I know who you are, I guess I'll have to wait for you to join us, I know you will. I'm honestly impressed, and slightly jealous. You've got the shadow blade and a shadow dragon."

"Don't be to dissapointed," said Derrick, "When I don't come."

Leren just shook his head, "It's a pitty really, I didn't want you to die."

I heard a movement of wings from below. I looked down and almost fell of Reflamen in surprise.

"They're below us!" I yelled.