Chapter 13: Derrick returns

I arrived at the training field to see Rogan practicing with the liitle ones again. Reflamen instantly ran over to where Sophire was, teaching the hatchlings. I went over to where Rogan was and waited patiently. Rogan saw me and smiled. 

"Hey," he called out, jogging up to me.

"Hey," I replied. 

"Had fun with Leviete?" he asked.

"Yeah, it was interesting," I said. 

Rogan smiled, "Hey, how about you help me with teaching these guys."

"Me?" I said, "But I hardly know anything about sword fighting."

"No?" said Rogan, "You did pretty well against Leon."

"Yeah, but that was because he was going easy on me, and I was mostly dodging and ducking, never actually attempting to block a sword stroke," I protested.

"You could help judge the fights," said Rogan, "Come one it's easy."

"Okay," I said.

We walked back over to where the kids were practicing there fighting. None of them were over ten, the youngest probably six. They were swinging clumsily at each other with wooden swords. It was actually interesting to watch, especially when the swords clashed, I noticed that they aimed more for each other's swords then there oppenents body. I mentioned this to Rogan.

"I know," said Rogan, "but it's safer that way. We start teaching them the more advanced swordsmanship when they reach twelve. For now they just try to wack each other's swords out of their openents hand. It helps develop technic and helps us decide what sword would best suit them."

I nodded.

We watched for another hour, waiting the fights to finish, by then it was ten o'clock.

"Okay," yelled Rogan, "That's enough for today! Now go home, tomorrow you can have a break, and maybe a story from Sophire!"

"YAY!" yelled all the kids at once. Then they all ran of to their homes.

"Okay, now that's done we can get down to business," said Rogan, "You brought your sword with you I prossume?"

I nodded, touching my hand to the shiethed sword at my waist.

"Okay, draw it," said Rogan.

I did.

Rogan walked over to me. He looked at how my hand was gripping the sword.

"Your grip is week," said Rogan. He drew his own sword, "You need to grip the sword like this. Hild your hand closer to the crossguard, making it less likely for you to cut your hand cut. Also hold it in a grip that allows flexible movement. Tight, but not so tight that your knuckles are going white."

I reajusted my grip.

"Well done, now have a swing," said Rogan.

I swung my sword horizontly at him. He raised his sword and the two met together with a metalic crash.

"Good!" said Rogan.

I swung again, and again.

'I'm getting the hang of this,' I thought.

Suddenly Rogna swung back. I was so surprised by the movement that I just stood still for a second, then I jumped back, just avoiding the stroke.

"Good reflexes," said Rogan, "But next time, try to block, tighten your grip as much as you can for the time when the two swords meet. This makes sure that it doesn't fly out of your hand."

This time he swung at me without warning. All my instincs were telling me to jump back, but I didn't. Instead I raised my sword to meet Rogan's. It was as if I had done the move a million times before. Strength flowed through me. The two swords clashed, but they only were like that for a second. Is spun around, fast and struck at Rogan's legs. He jumped over my blade and swung down at me. I blocked it and thrust at him. He jumped backwards, allowing me time to get back up. 

'Where did that come from?' I asked myself.

Rogan jumped forwards with a horizontal stroke at my head. I jumped backwards, but Rogan followed with a quick reverse stroke. I brought my sword up and blocked it just in time, but this time I did it correctly, tightening my grip when the two blades hit, letting the handle move in my hand, absorbing the blow. 

We stood there, looking at each other. Rogan smiled, "Well done, now it's time to take it up a notch."

He unlocked our blades and unleashed a fast overhead at me. I blocked the blow with ease and reltaliated with a quick swing at his stomach. Rogan jumped backwards before stricking at me again, I blocked and jumped back. Rogan followed stricking at me again, and again. I was having trouble blocking each blow, until, for some ridiculous reason, I started to imagine. I imagined that Rogan, striking at me repeatedly, I could tell what he was thinking and what he was hoping to do. Suddenly I saw a pattern in his strokes, side, other side, over, under, side, other side, over, under. I started to ujoust my parries accordingly, but I still couldn't keep on parring his moves over and over, he was fitter then me and would tier a lot slower. So I had to think of something. 

As I blocked stroke after stroke an idea began to form in my mind. 

'This is going to be great,' I thought.

I then waited for his next overhead. Side, side, instead of just bringing my sword up for the overhead, I stepped underneath the sword and swung as hard as he could, double handed, at the side of his blade as it came down. 

Rogan, expecting resistance, stumbled forward. I thrust my shoulder up and into his chin. His head snapped backwards and he stumbled backwards. I then jumped at him as fast as I could, and drove my full body weight into him. Rogan fell backwards and onto the grass. I put my sword against Rogan's neck.

"Dead," I said.

Rogan looked at me with wild surprise, "How?"

"Don't know," I said, still smiling, "But I swear that I couldn't do that before."

"Well, well, well," said a voice, "It's not everyday you get beaton by a kid, Brother."

I spun around, and standing, there, weapons and all, was Derrick.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey guys, sorry for the 'shorter-then-normal chapter', but this seemed like the perfect place to stop it, A CLIFFHANGER! :) Anyway, I'll post another chapter some time in the next two days, so keep reading! Vote and comment if you enjoyed. See ya!

Pennator^^