Chapter 11: Dragon Riding

I couldn't wait to get on the back of a dragon. Me first ride on Sophire was fun and all, but I was riding behind someone, and I was asleep most of the time. Now I will be able to ride a dragon at it's full speed, which is faster then one of those huge planes people travel around in, over nine hundred kilometres an hour. I wouldn't actually go that fast. It takes the most skilled riders to even attempt to stay on at that speed, most of the time the wind takes them of their dragon.

Rogan had hardly said anything since the 'magic'  I had done at the field. All he had said was 'follow me', and he started walking in the direction of a cliff where dragons and their riders take of and land.

We walked into the field and I noticed about ten riders there with their dragons. I recognised the two of them right away, one was the sword master, Leon, and the other was his daughter, Charole. I caught my breath as I remebered something, the newer dragon riders had been practicing on Charole's dragon, Lilly. Lilly was the smallest rideable dragon in the village, she only hatched a couple of months ago. She was also small for her age, so she was the perfect dragon to learn on, and don't mistake Lilly for a gentle dragon, she is one of the toughest dragons in existance. She easily topples larger dragons easliy and uses her size to get under another dragon's defences and take them out. In other words, she is a small dragon with a big bite.

Anyway, getting back to the point. This ment that I had a chance to meet, I mean actually officially meet, Charole. I gulped down my nervousness.

'Come on,' I thought, 'I talk to girls all the time.'

In truth I had always been nervous talking to girls, except when I actually knew them. 

I felt Reflamen reading my thoughts.

'Oooh, someone's in love,' said Reflamen tauntingly.

'Shut up,' I said back.

He didn't, 'Derrick and Charole sitting in a tree...'

I blocked the annoying dragon from my mind and took a deep breath, calming my nerves.

"Nervous are we," said Rogan with a smile, "Don't worry, it's easier then it sounds."

If only he knew.

We walked up to Charole and Lilly. She was leaning against Lillies side, fiddling with a throwing knife. When she saw us she pushed herself off her dragon and walked over to us.

"Hey," she said with a smile.

"Hey," replied Rogan, "Got a new rider. Want to give him some lessons on how to ride."

She looked over me with a studieing gaze, "Isn't he the new guy you had with you on Sophire on your return from Taknor city?" 

"Yep," replied Rogan with a smile, "and he's turning out to be quite an interesting individual."

"Is he now?" said Charole with a smile.

I was getting slightly annoyed with the fact that they were ingnoring me.

"Hi," I said, holding out my hand, "I'm Derrick."

Charole took my hand, she had a surprisingly furm grip, "Charole, pleased to meet you."

"Likewise," I said smiling.

"This is Lilly," she said pointing up at her dragon, "She'll be the dragon your riding today. She's ready and prepped, all you need to do is get on."

"Hi Lilly," I said raching up to touch her scales.

She snorted, but I didn't flinch. I knew she was just ammused at something, probably at what something Charole said. Her scales were smaller then Sophire's, and softer as well.