Chapter 24: Shadowrang

When I woke up that morning I found myself wet. It took me a moment to realise that I had been dunked into a river. I scrambled to the surface and took a deep breath of air. 

"REFLAMEN!" I screamed. 

Reflamen was on the banks of the river, laughing so hard bursts of fire were flickering from his nose. He lay down on the ground as he tried to get his breath back. I swam over to the bank, then had an idea. I imagined the ground beneath Reflamen to suddenly flick up, like a catapult. Reflamen went sailing through the air before landing in the river with a gigantic crash. 

I made it to the shore, weezing with laughter. Reflamens head made it above the water, he looked around in surprise. 

'What was that?' he said.

Laughing to hard to answer I showed him an image of the ground below him flicking him up and into the river.  

'Yes, but how did that happen?' said Reflamen, as he looked through my memories, 'Ohhhh.'

He gave me a dragonic glare. I shivered in fake fear, before suddenly standing up and running into the forest. Reflamen swam to the bank and got out and started to race after me. We chased each other around the forest for a while until Reflamen managed to pick me up from the air. 

He carried me to the river, then dove head first into the water. I swam, laughing, to the bank. 

'Okay,' I said, 'We better get going, it's almost eight.' 

Reflamen swam up next to me. He breathed warm air all over me, drying me almost instantly.

'Okay, let's get going,' said Reflamen.

I jumped onto his back and we began our trip back to the Resistance. We flew back fast, but Reflamen seemed to take his time, twirling through the wind, with fancy flips and twists. 

It was about eight forty by the time we got to the Resistance. Reflamen entered with a sudden burst of speed and did a pinwheel in the air before landing at the Resistance. 

'Show off,' I said.

Reflamen snorted. 

"Hello," said Rogan, who was standing at the side of the landing area.

"Hi," I replied as I slid of Reflamen.

"So how was it?" asked Rogan.

"It was great!" I said smiling, "It was by far the funnest thing I've ever done!"

"Was it now," said Rogan.

He started to walk over to us, "Where's your saddle?"

"Don't need one," I said, "It's actually really comfortable up here, and it's relatively easy to stay on."

Rogan frowned, "You sure you don't want a saddle."

I nodded my head.

Rogan shrugged, "Alright, your funeral."

Suddenly a man came running up to Rogan.

"There's a dragon approaching the mountain," said the man.

"Really," said Rogan, 'You sure it wasn't Reflamen."

"No sir," said the man, "It's hard to make it out, but it looks like a black dragon."

Rogan drew his sword, "There's only one black dragon it could be. Prepare the archers."

"Yes sir!" said the man.