Chapter 10: Magic

Rogan lead me to a deserted area of the field.

"Okay," he said, "From what I saw yesterday you were a very powerful and capable magician. There is only one problem, your two slow."

I frowned.

"It took you at least ten seconds to find the energy for your shortest spell," said Rogan, "In that time an enemy would easily be able to get to you and kill you. We need to work on your speed. Your mind has one of the strongest shields around it that I've over experienced, even rivaling that of the king, so I won't worry to much about that." 

I nodded.

"So first, I want you to destroy all of those targets," Rogan raised his hand and ten earth pillars shot from the ground, "I'll be timing you, so do it as fast as you can. Okay, ready, set, GO!"

I immediatly whent to sommun my fire. It was what I was most comfortable with and I had the most experience with. I focused all my energy and closed my eyes. I took a deep breath and imagined a fireball forming in my hand. The heat starting to build up, the crackling fire starting to form. I opened my eyes and shot a fireball at my target, then another, and another. Suddenly I was firing fireballs like I was a machine gun. Most of the fireballs missed the targets, but as I moved from one to another I found I was destroying them very quickly.

When the last target was destroyed I lowered my hand and looked at Rogan.

"Well done," he said, "It took you a total of fourty seconds to demolish those ten targets. Your magic was very strong and once you started to get going you were actually pretty fast, but your start of was extremely slow, it took a total of eleven seconds to summon your fireball, or fireballs. You need faster, a lot faster. Watch me."

Rogan summoned another ten earth pillars. He stood at the ready, his hands hanging loosely by his side. 

"You tell me when to go," said Rogan.

I nodded. I knew what was coming, "Okay, ready, set, go!"

Rogan's hand suddenly whipped up and fireball launched from his hand. It destroyed the target instantly, but other fireballs were already on there way to the other targets. They got destroyed, one by one, in the space of five seconds.

Rogan looked over at me.

"Five seconds," I said.

He nodded, I heard him mumble to himself, "Could of done better."

"Do you see now," said Rogan.

"Yes," I replied, "But what where I find the trouble is not actually finding the energy, it's... summoing the fireball. I find I need to... imagine the fireball to be in my hand before it actually is there."

Rogan was silent for a second, "That's... interesting. Why?"

'Oh great,' I thought, "Well... It's hard to explain."

Rogan raised his eyebrow, an expression I was getting used to, "Hard doesn't mean impossible, go on."

"Um... It's just...," I hesitated, not sure what to say, "Easier that way."

Rogan nodded at the thought, "So you can gather the energy just fine."

"That's part of the imagining," I said.

"Can you 'imagine' any faster," said Rogan.

"I could try," I said.

"Okay, now try to destroy this within ten seconds," Rogan raised one of his hands, making a another earth pillar rise.

I took a deep breath.

"GO!" yelled Rogan.

I was taken by surprise by the sudden shout. I reganed my composture. I took another deep breath and focused all my energy on my hand.