Ch.3 Maybe alright can be our okay

"Well that was fun Evan! Until you had to make lovey-dovey eyes to their damn son!" Sydney threw the dishes in the sink. Turning on the faucet making the water splash everywhere onto dishes and countertops.

"Oh shut up you ignorant twat. My god that was one time and it was awesome! Never thought that guys would be better than white girls!" Evan eyes fumed with a death stare.

"You're such an asshole." Sydney put down the soap and balled her fists. Water dripping from her pressurized palms.

"Daddy? Mommy?" Their son walked in with a blanket covering his small torso. His hair messy as he wobbled to his mother.

"I need to sleep. I have work tomorrow." Evan said scratching his head. He sighed loudly as Sydney slammed another dish in the sink.

"Sleep downstairs dick." Sydney as she picked up their son, covering his ears as she stormed up the stairs.

"Gladly!" Evan yelled. He opened the fridge to look for a beer but no avail.

Evan walked past the running faucet and opened the sliding door to the backdoor. He thought of all the times he had when he wasn't married with a kid. From college parties to sleeping in after a day off or an exam. He found himself staring at the sky. Watching the stars twinkle and grow before him.  "Why can't I be as beautiful as them?"

"But you are, Illuminating and gorgeous. I'm so jealous." There he was. His voice high and with a slurring accent. A North Carolina accent, simple but yet slow tone of voice.

"Oh! Jonathan I didn't see you there. Didn't even know you heard me. My God did I say that aloud?" Evan's cheeks flushed with red.

"And I called you gorgeous. Let's call it even."  He said opening the wooden gate that separates the two houses.

"That's sadly inappropriate and you barely met me. Not sure neighbors tell each other that when they first meet." Evan's hands were deep inside his pockets. He was nervous as if it was the fifth grade all over again and he had to ask his first crush Wendy if she wanted to dance with him.

"Well Love thy neighbor. " Jonathan smirked as he came closer. Holding his phone in one hand and his confidence in the other.

"I guess. You didn't hear anything else did you?" Evan swallowed his upcoming bile. Thinking of his argument with his wife made him cringe of embarrassment.

"Um you mean your wife asking you if you're into me? No, no didn't hear anything!" Jonathan said jokingly. That's where this sense of confidence came from. Certainty.

They both laughed. "Well then this is honestly awkward." Evan didn't deny it.  He really should of.

"Yeah but we are just neighbors right?" Asked Jonathan.

"Yeah why would we be anything else?" Evan could feel it. A blessed feeling of a harlot, coming onto him.

"Oh well okay. Oh and by the way can I ask you something?"

"Sure yeah, anything!"

"Um what do you do when you feel real alone. Like it's real quiet and you feel sad a lot." Evan was shocked. The young harlot is expressing his feelings so openly.

Evan thought about what the young boy said, "As we grow older we tend to be more social and vocal. Of course being quiet won't do you any good, many people want to be heard but don't have anything good to say. I'm not saying it gets better, because I don't know what you'll be when you get older but loneliness is only temporary."

Jonathan smiled, fluorescent teeth brightened the hall of deep state of melancholy for this middle aged monster.

"I'll see you later Mr. Fong." Jonathan's voice got lower.