Ch.33 The day of the Play

Jonathan could hear everyone's heartbeat. As a petite girl with ivory skin and brown locks tighten his suit, he stood straight. He sighed, looking at his body.
      "Your stomach isn't big. You look great. You have a natural glow." Her broad smile, showed her pink gums and braces. Jonathan grinned at her, letting his pearly whites show.

     The red headed teacher, ran back and forth back stage looking for everyone, stopping when she saw Jonathan. "You're on!"
     "Aren't you mad that you were replaced." Her braces gave her a lisp, cutting her mouth every time she spoke more than three seconds.
    Jonathan sighed, "I get it. I'm just hoping Ohm, is great." He looked across the stage to see Malika and Ohm smiling. Rehearsing as they stared at each other, admiring in some way. Jonathan glared at the two, he screamed in his head. He believed that Ohm could feel his heart break. As if the two were connected, Ohm didn't even look his way.
      The teacher, called everyone to huddle in. Jonathan stood next to Tyler who smelled too much like garlic. It made him gag a little.
    "We have a full house. I'm hoping you all realize how amazing this should be." The buzzard rang as she ended her "speech." Taking a deep breathe and gesturing the production crew to start. She turned back to the acting students, "It's show time."

    A kiss scene.... Jonathan stood on stage watching Malika play Christine. In the audience he scanned for recognizable faces. His heart stopped and it was as if he could hear Evan's heart beat faster. The older man looked like he saw God, his eyes glossy and mouth ajar.

     As Malika fell to the floor as her character died in the Phantoms arms. The fake gunshot echoed, the light dimmed and everyone watched Ohm. How she dramatically fell into his strong arms.
     "I will always love you... forever." Malika practically spit out her line. Ohm shed a tear as he spoke, "Goodnight my love."

The lights slowly faded and at last they kissed. Did Evan feel Jonathan's heart explode? As the curtains shut closed and the class stood in their positions. The audience clapped, all except one. Evan under his hat, watched the class come back and bow in honor. Jonathan wasn't there.
After the show, Delirious sat in his chair, his suit wrinkled and his eyes red. Ohm passed by him as he got high fives and compliments. Malika held him tight, in their own world. Students left one by one while Jonathan sat.

Longer black hair than before. Leather jacket and yellow shirt, Evan walked in. His black hat covered his eyebrows. He looked up at Jonathan, smiling till his eyes crinkled. Out from his leather jacket, he pulled out a red rose.
"The only star I saw onstage."

Jonathan wore Evan's leather jacket as they walked to the back where he parked. His small shoulders let the jacket hang on, while Evan got in the car. He hopped in, not bothering to put on his seatbelt.

"Let's go two cities over and get some food yeah?" Evan grinned at Jonathan, starting the car and looking up from his hat.
Softly smiling Jonathan laughed, "Let's go Evan."

     In the dark lit restaurant, Evan started ordering his usual steak and veggies while Jonathan scanned the menu. "I'll just get the chicken prosciutto."
     Evan smiled at Jonathan as the waiter took their menus. "I thought you were playing the phantom." Evan said as he drank from his glass of water.
      Jonathan stirred his straw, watching the bubbles from his Coke come up. "I'm a whale now."
         Evan rolled his eyes and took a piece of bread, smearing butter all over it. "You're pregnant with our baby. Hearing that out loud is crazy. I'm a father."
     Jonathan raised his eyebrow. "You have a child already. Evan you can't just forget about them."
         "I got you a present." Evan lifted his shirt. There on his rib cage was Jonathan's name and below it was his blue eyes. 
    Jonathan was speechless. Evan sat back down quickly, not wanting to attract attention at the restaurant they were going to dine at.
        "Why? Evan why would you do that?" Tears came to Jonathan's eyes.
      "I want you to know that even though what we shared was short lived. It was the most alive I've felt all my life. The way you made me feel reminds me of when I was a boy. My mom used to make these dumplings, they were filled with pork and chives. She used to steam them and they would take an hour at the rate she made them. I used to sneak one of the ones that were finished and share it with my friends. We used to ride our bikes to the frozen lake. I remember a girl came with us once."
       Jonathan rolled his eyes as he sipped his Coke, glaring at his partner.
        "Jon I was eleven. Anyways I remember her and I laid on top of lake and we stared at each other's eyes. She leaned in for a kiss and it felt like the lake beneath us melted. Like I fell into the sharp cold water and my breath was taken away. It was the second most best feeling in the world. You make feel young again, happy again."
        Jonathan smiled, "What was the first?"
        "My moms dumplings of course!"  Evan snickered. Jonathan held his partners hand, "You make me feel invincible."

Evan kissed Jonathan's hand as he promised him, "We are one of a kind."

      "We're forever?" Jonathan giggled. Evan nodded his head and kissed his beaus hand again.

     "Forever."

    "Sing for me, my angel of music." Evan sat back in his chair quoting the play. Jonathan looked up at his lover and smiled.

    "Stair way to heaven..." Evan let out a brittle laugh. Shaking his head while Delirious chuckled.

    "That's not even how it goes." Evan and Jonathan gazed at each other. A comfortable silence that soothed them, brought them closer. In ways not many can explain.

   "Forever?" Jonathan held out his pinkie, showing his nail being a bit bitten.
    "Forever." Evan latched on to him, he made a promise he finally won't break.